Newbie to military rifles needs help !!!

MO

I am wanting to get into military rifles. I'd prefer older collectible pieces but I want to be able to shoot them too. I have found two that I like in the Shotgun News; one is a VZ 24 and the other is a 98 German Mauser (both in 8mm). Are these good "starter" guns ? Do you fellers have any info that would make either of these preferable over the other? Any considerations as far as parts, ammunition, etc? Thanks for any help ya'll can give !!!

The German "98" and the VZ 24 are essentially the same rifle. The 24 is a "short" model 98 rifle made in Czechoslavokia while the 98 may be either long or a 98k (short) and made by any number of companies in Europe before or during WWII.
A 98 made prior to about 1942 by DWM is probably a better rifle than the VZ24. A late war rifle made by any manufacturer will have a number of undesirable shortcuts in manufacturing.
In effect, you need to judge the rifles on condition and know when they were manufactured to make a good investment. You also need to know if the rifle has been "reconditioned". An all original rifle manufactured in Germany prior to 1942 in very good condition would be the best "collectors" choice.
If you want a shooter theres not much to choose between them. Get the one in best condition at the best price and have fun. 8mm Mauser ammo is widely available.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

My first was an Enfield in .303 british. Mine shoot REALLY well. If hunting is a concern, the ammunition still seems to be available in hunting loads ... but I'm not sure of the legalities of the 10 round clip in some localities

98 Mausers, be they German, Czech, Yugoslav, and even Brazilian(Itajuba in 30.06)are fine rifles of design that has yet to be surpassed. Enfields are also great, especially the No.4 Mk2 which has a finely adjustable aperture sight.
The problem with buying from the Shotgun news is that the descriptions of condition given are not alwasys up to snuff.
Ammo comes and goes, for example, last spring I had trouble locating suplus 8mm for athe four riflesa that I feed. Now `Tennessee Guns has uncovered "millions" of rounds (Nazi manufactured, but 100% guarenteed or money back)and is selling them at a reasonable price, so I stocked up.

Mo,- Not to be one to advertise for another gun site but...Go to Gun Spot.
http://www.gunspot.com

Go into the Military Surplus room and ask Paul Scarlata (moderator) for advise on these. He is a very good authority on old militry arms.

Tell Him FranzTMG sent ya. Good luck.

------------------

Back