Newbie to 1911 has .45 ammo?????

Cyric13

I'm new to guns and don't have the time or energy to reload(not yet at least, I'm in college no time) so where can I buy .45 FMJ ammo in bulk that is good for pratice shooting and that has similar performance of a good defensive round? Also what is a good defensive round to use? I really don't want to use +P rounds(are +P rounds alright to use in a Charles Daly 1911 A1?). Also how do I store ammo I've heard fo ammo boxes just don't know where to get them. Will army ammo boxes work good?(The green ones that are retangular shape.)

thanks, Cyric13

[This message has been edited by Cyric13 (edited January 16, 2000).]

Stay away from +p .45, especially if you are breaking in your gun.

Buy bulk, some gun dealers advertise weekly specials on ammo. Buy then. American Eagle, Fiochi, Sellier Bellot, Winchester, UMC are all fine, affordable fmj target ammo. My preference is Winchester, American Eagle, and Fiochi in that order.

Go to gun shows, I just bought 500 rounds of Winchester fmj for $90. $9 a box isn't bad, and it came with its own ammo box too boot (woohoo).

As for defense rounds, I'm sure someone else knows more about this than me. I settle for whatever jacketed hollow point feeds reliably and is affordable. I buy boxes of factory reloads for $13. They work fine and are affordable enough to practice with.

Cyric13,

I generally agree with Muscles, even to the manufactures of range/target/plinking .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ used. However, I would not ignore the Internet as a source of relatively inexpensive, decent quality ammunition.

I have bought from Natchez, Cheaper than Dirt, JG Sales and Ammoman with reasonable results.

Based on an order earlier this month I strongly recommend Ammoman, where I just purchased 500 rounds of Fiocchi .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ at $10 per box including shipping. In addition, Ammoman's customer service was great:
> delivery in two or three days
> all shipping charges included
> no credit card use fee
> clear user-friendly Web site
> excellent price

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited January 17, 2000).]

Natchez Shooters supply in Chattanooga,TN.as of late has had Sellier&Bellot for $8.30 per box in lots of 500 or more.The ammo is 230FMJ with both the primer and case mouth sealed for long storage life.This ball ammo feeds GREAT in all my 1911's & has low muzzle flash if you practice or shoot IDPA at night.Additionally,I have found this to be one of the more uniformly accurate rounds in my pistols. As for self defense ammo,find something that works in YOUR gun 100%. Federal Hydra-Shok has always been my first choice because the bullet shape seems to work best in my pistols,and the case has a cannlure to hold the bullet in place as it impacts the feed ramp; second choice would be anything with a Hornady XTP,although again,find what feeds in YOUR pistol. Hope you enjoy your 1911!!!

Try an assortment of brands at 230 grains for both FMJs and JHPs.

Shoot what works best for you and your gun.

I prefer 230 grain Federal Hydra Shocks for defense- and jump around a lot on plinking rounds.

Erik

Well I like to use fmj's 230gr to practice and normally hydrashocks for non-practice type of ammo,...for more variety you might want to contact corbon...they are not cheap, but the stuff has always fed for me...fubsy.

Back