• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Newbie section

Scooterloo

Inactive
I frequent other (non gun) boards, I was wondering if there was a forum for new guy questions,e.g. what gun, how often to clean it, local laws, etc. I know it is annoying to see the same questions asked week after week.
Thanks -D :)

No, there's no specific forum. Legal questions go into L&P. Gun choice and maintenance questions go in General Discussion or in one of the firearm-type forums (rifles, semi-auto handguns, etc.).

Laws:
http://www.nra-ila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx
http://www.packing.org

Which gun to buy:
Make a list of guns that satisfy your criteria. Try some/most of them out. Once you narrow it down to a few that you like, and can't choose between them based on function or accuracy, then it's more productive to ask in the forums to get others' opinions. Just asking what gun to get is going to get you a million different responses if you don't have any idea what you want.

How often to clean a gun:
If you're asking what the minimum is... some guns tolerate less cleaning; others will jam when neglected. Obviously, you can clean them as often as you want.

Hey. Welcome to the Firing Line.

I don't think there would be a newbie/advanced section. Here are the costs...
1. Experts would generally get tired of answering newbie questions and not visit the newbie section
2. Eventually you'd have newbie answering newbie question. "Is 5.56 good? 'Yes, with its superior tumbling capabilities, if you hit a man in the shoulder it would tumble down to his center mass and explode'"

My .01¢™ (I'm saving for a HK53...:D)

Scooter-
There's no "dumb" questions. There are those who ask frequently asked questions without using the Search feature first (to see if it's been asked before). This can be a bit annoying to the rest of us "newbies" (we all are); but you'll generally find patience here.

Still, the Search feature is pretty powerful as a tool before you post.

Welcome to TFL.
Rich

Back