Newbie question on aiming...

MCF

Pretty new to shooting and just recently purchased my first real gun...HK USP .40 Variant 2 (DA/SA with safety/decock on right side). When you aim a pistol, isn't the correct method to line the dot on the front sight up even with the two dots on the back sight to make a straight line? When I do this with the fixed sights that came on the new gun, the gun actually tilts down, as if putting the front sight dot between the rear sight dots is not correct....any advice would be appreciated....

Your gun may be set up for a 6 o' clock aiming pattern. What you need to try is line up your sights like you said but the bullseye should be in full view when you aim. In other words you will aim towords the bottom of the bullseye. Remember to focus on your front sight while your back sight will be slightly out of focus. Now I have never shot a HK, does it have adj. sights ? You may bne able to adj. them. Some others on the forum may be able to explain it better than I.

In good lighting, ignore the dots, they are for quick and dirty shooting at close range in poor light.

Correct sight alignment is with the top of the front post level with the top of the rear blade, and, of course, centered in the notch from side to side.

The two standard sight pictures are:
1. Six o'clock with the top of the front post at the bottom of a round black bullseye and the bullets hitting the center of the bullseye. Very accurate IF you are always shooting at a standard bullseye at a standard distance.
2. Center, with the top of the front post at the center of whatever target and the bullets hitting right there. Nearly as accurate as six o'clock and more versatile on a service pistol to be shot at everything from a paper target to an enemy.

Either way, keep the sights aligned the same way, square post flush with the square notch.

If your gun does not hit center with either a six o'clock or center hold then the sights should be adjusted or replaced. Most of the European gunmakers offer a selection of different height sights to make corrections with.

Dont' worry about what the gun looks like. Sight settings on a pistol have to take into account the fact that recoil starts moving the gun before the bullet is out of the barrel. Aim correctly, squeeze the trigger, and it should hit the target.

Everything that was said was VERY good information I will add only one thing

If your new to guns and your gun is new, to help go to a range with benchs, take a couple of sand bags and use them to steady your hold. It take the new jitters out of your first couple of shoots.
Know where your gun hits before messing with it. And your gun is set up for the 6 oclock shot.

Could it be you are jerking the trigger and causing the gun to point downward slightly? It took me a little while to stop doing it, you have to just squeeze the trigger and not pull it, also try using the tip of your finger, you have a little less leverage to pull the gun downward. I recently bought a usp compact in .40 and found my shots to be a bit low on my first few magazines, wasnt sure if it was the gun or me, so I just focused on making sure I was shooting well and started hitting bulls eyes in no time at all, once I got used to the gun.

I suggest you attend some competent training. I'm not sure where you are, however, there are many threads on the website about competent instructors, which can show you how to use your pistol properly.

This is a website, great information, etc. However, NOTHING beats good, in person, training. You can't go wrong going to Gunsite, Blackwater Lodge, or taking a course from the many good, traveling instructors out there.

Louis Awerbuck, Bennie Cooley Jr, Ron Avery, Herschel B Davis, Randy Cain, Scott Reitz, etc. There and many out there. However, I URGE you to attend a good training course, by a good, competent, and HONORABLE instructor. It will be worth your money and time.

Thin The Herd

Thanks...

so with it set up for the 6 o'clock aiming, should I disregard lining up the front sight dot with the two rear sight dots to make a straight line?

Nupe, the sights still need to be aligned.

Think of 6 o'clock hold kinda like aiming at rabbit's head. Put front sight just under chin to hit near eyes.

HK USP .40 Variant 2 (DA/SA with safety/decock on right side)

Don't you mean LEFT side? Are you left handed?
usp9.jpg

usp9_lg.jpg

Thanks for that info on 6 o'clock sighting. I thought some of my guns shot low, so I always compensate by aiming just below the bull...now at least I know the sights are correct, it was my lack of knowledge screwing things up. I have read hundreds of gun mags, and shot at ranges for over 10 years and never heard this stuff. TFL is great! Thanks guys!

Back