Newbie Question: Condition 1, etc.

The “Conditions” were originated by Jeff Cooper and used to describe carrying single action autos (1911, Hi-Power) or those others that can be carried cocked and locked.
As I recall they are:
Condition 1 -- “Cocked and locked” Round in chamber, magazine loaded, safety on, hammer back.
Condition 2 –- Round in chamber, magazine loaded, hammer down (NOT on half-cock).
Condition 3 –- Chamber empty, magazine loaded.
Condition ZERO – Round in chamber, hammer cocked, magazine loaded, SAFETY OFF. Said to have been favored by the SAS to compensate for the tiny safety lever on their P-35s.

Condition 1: full mag, round chambered, cocked and locked

Condition 2: full mag, round chambered, uncocked (hammer down)

Condition 3: full mag, chamber empty, usually uncocked

Condition 4: gun is unloaded (empty)

Condition 0: full mag, round chambered, cocked and unlocked (safety off)

The above is usually in reference to 1911 style pistols. Conditions 0-3 would also apply if the mag was NOT full (one or more rounds in magazine). For Condition 3, the slide must be racked before shooting. Some shooters cock the hammer because it is easier to rack the slide.

I always carry Condition 1. :cool: I would NEVER carry Condition 2. I have, on rare occasions, carried Condition 3 but that was a loooong time ago. ;) And what's the point of carrying in Conditions 0 and 4? :rolleyes:

Just my personal choice. You may have a personal choice of your own.

Hope this was what you were looking for. Best regards,

tawakoni

Great job, Maddock! I was typing my reply when you responded so I missed it. I enjoyed your historical references. And I am glad you pointed out that 'hammer down' did not mean 'half-cocked'. I am still surprised at the number of people I meet who think the half-cock notch is there for carry purposes. It is there to catch the hammer should it inadvertantly slip from full-cock. It IS a safety feature but not the kind many people think it is.

tawakoni

As an aside.......

the original military requirements was for a pistol with an "automatic" safety only, i.e. when in hand ready to fire and when out of hand on safe. Which would mean the original intent of the US Military was for the pistol to be carried in Condition 0. The M1910 was tested without a thumb safety. I think that after a few AD/ND's and the loss of a horse or two, the requirements were changed and a manual safety was requested.

Back