Newbie question: Benelli Supernova shotgun cleaning, how often?

tallmerlin

Inactive
Hello! I am new to the world of shotguns; got my first this past Christmas. I'm a big guy at 6 ft 5 in and most familiar with handguns or rifles. But my local outdoor range added a five-stand option and my bro-in-law lent me his Remington pump so I got hooked. Wanted my own and knew someday I'd spend more, but felt my first should be a pump that I was familiar with. Got a great deal at a gun show on a Benelli Supernova in camo for under four hundred dollars. It's got the long barrel and the fiber optic front sight I like. The camo was a bonus.

My question is how often should I clean my shotgun? Every weekend it'll see 75 to 100 shells. Cleaning the barrel with a bore snake is easy since it's already in two pieces. I've yet to drop the trigger assembly group out and clean it though. Should I every weekend or maybe less frequently, once a month? Just wondering what you with more experience do. Thanks for any tips.

Its your gun, you should do what you want....

Personally, I clean my guns after every range trip ...and on pump gun or semi-autos that means dropping out the trigger group as well. After you've done it -- 4 or 5 times, its no big deal.

Can you get by, as long as you don't shoot in the rain or snow ...shooting 4 boxes a week...by only dropping the trigger group out every other range trip, sure, probably.

Some of it depends on how dirty the ammo is you're using. Dirt or grit in any shotgun action..is your enemy. I think, taking care of that gun...by cleaning it every time you use it, means it will live on, in your family for at least 3 or 4 generations...

On all of my O/U's....if I ever get caught out and shoot them in bad weather ....or at least every 6 months, if I've shot them at all.....I take the stocks off of the receivers and clean and inspect and lube inside the receivers on them as well. I always make sure a gun is dry before I store it in the safe...to guard against rust.

Back