Newbie question about scope and eye releif

LF_Newbie

Hi everyone,

I hope I am posting in the right location for this question:

I have a Vortex Viper PST 3151 on my Browning X bolt Hell's Canyon speed. I've been shooting it on just one occasion at a local range and almost got scope bit. -I obviously don't want that...... I'd rather feel really comfortable and not feel afraid that I'll get "dinged" in the forehead by the scope.

So, today I sat down with the rifle in the best bench rest position I can replicate at home, and measured the distance between my eyebrow and the scope.

There is 1.9 inches.

Realizing that I am a complete newbie: That seems a bit too close for comfort to me.... -but I need to be that close to avoid vignetting.

Do I need to go find a better scope, with longer eye relief?

As a side note: I think I also will need taller scope rings. I feel like I have to really work to adjust myself to get in the right position behind the scope

What cartridge? Generally you want the scope low. Perhaps you need to move the scope forwards or bac on the rifle to get it in a more natural position in relation to a comfortable cheek weld and eye relief position.

Check the specs on your scope via the manufacturers web site. I don’t believe that 1.9” is correct....that’s crazy close. Even the “bad” scopes for eye relief are 3+ inches. I think your measurement is incorrect due to how you’re measuring or how you’re holding your head on the stock. Again, look it up. A suggestion: when shooting “hard kickers”, sit as upright as you can even if it means adding onto the front support. Being new, you’re probably putting your head in a position that’s going to let the natural raise of the gun under recoil to hit you in the head due to your leaning over the gun rather than looking through the scope with your head behind the scope properly.

I don’t believe that 1.9” is correct....that’s crazy close.

Thanks, that's wat I thought, too.

I measured this by getting in position behind the scope and then using a simple tape measure between the edge of the scope and my forehead.

It seems like there is only ONE tiny tiny spot to place my eye if I want a full image in the scope and no vignetting, shadows etc.

Maybe a call to Vortex is in order. I heard they have good customer support.

Being more upright sounds right, I just can't seem to find a way to get a proper image in the scope unless I am THAT close

Get on the gun on have someone take a photo of you, from both sides. The PST eye relief is listed at 3.4 inches, so something is off somewhere. I'd go to their manual and make sure you have the focus adjusted correctly as well.

Maybe go find an article on Natural Point of Aim as well. You certainly want to be comfortable behind the gun.

I just chatted with someone on their product support group. They basically told me same as you guys:

Eye relief is supposed to be 3.4 inches.

I wear glasses. I suppose that will affect things….?

Without glasses I am quite far sighted.

I’ll experiment a bit with and without glasses and try to get some measurements both ways

Thanks guys. Will report back with findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glasses should not change eye relief. It will change focus. I am guessing that is where you need to do some work, in adjusting the focus for your eyes.

I have the scope focus set pretty well, both with and without my glasses. My next effort will be to put a cheek piece on the stock and just generally work on how I hold the rifle when I sit and when in prone position.

Got a cheek piece and an extension on the stock both added. Hoping to be able to go shoot this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eye relief on those is advertised at 3.2". Which is pretty close. MOST scopes have more eye relief on low magnification and it gets closer as you go up in magnification. Many will advertise around 3-4", but that will only be on the lowest magnification. Move up to 8X or more and they get pretty close.

As a rule Leupold has the most forgiving eye relief of all popular scopes. That is one reason they are so popular even though some other scopes in the same price range will be better in many ways. Some of them will approach 5" on the low end and still be very near 4" on max magnification.

Other scopes will have a constant eye relief of around 4" at all settings. I've seen this mostly on European scopes.

It sounds like you have it mounted too close. Move it a bit farther away and refocus it and see if that helps.

Back