Newbie question - 1863 Springfield

frank 501

Inactive
Hi all - - - I'm the new kid on the block (I use the word "kid" very loosely). This is my first thread, so be gentle. I've been shooting conventional firearms for a very long time, but never got into BP. Many, many years ago my dad and I use to shoot his 1863 Springfield Civil War rifle. I would like to try it out again. It's in very good condition and it just sits in my safe with all the components. Should I shoot it, or am I foolish for messing with a nice antique? I have 4-wing percussion caps and a ton of minnie balls. What kind of BP should I use, and how much of it do I use? Can you suggest a simple powder measure (i.e. a certain cartridge casing)? Thanks for your input.

2F black powder. Historically, it was about 60-65 grains of powder per shot. Target shooters like those in the North South Skirmish Association use a lot less and that depends on what works for best accuracy. Now, as to whether it's safe, you might pull off the barrel and take it to an autoshop to magnaflux it to ensure that there aren't any fissures that would compromise the barrel.

Frank, I poured some Goex FF into 4 different cases and then weighed the charge they held.

45/70 - 77 grains
.45 Colt-43 grains
.44 mag-36 grains
.38 special-23 grains

I only did one charge in each case, just loosely poured in and about even with the case mouth, so the above charges aren't an average, just one time results.

I have been shooting 67 grain charges from my Springfield, so if all I had to go on was the above info, I'd take a .45 Colt case and a .38 special case, pour the combined charges they held into a 45/70 case, then mark the level of the powder in it and cut it off so that's all it would hold.

Steve

I shot one of the 63 replicas from euroarms a while back for a Guns Magazine Civil war series . Used 60 grains of goex with a 480 grain mini ball from Dixie gunworks. Velocity averaged 1034 fps. It was a mild shooter and accurate.

I'd say go ahead and shoot that rifle. It sound like you have already shot it enough to confirm safety. If you leave it in the closet, you will just be saving it for somebody else.

Try a string of 5 shots with the 44 mag case load of powder and another string with the 45 Colt. See which is more accurate.

Back