Newbie needs info on Star PD

gtmeyer

Inactive
I am new to hand guns, having only owned rifles and shotguns. Neighbor has a Star PD he is selling cheap. I don't know anything about the Star line (other than it is discontinued). Can you tell me anything about the gun including what to look for (problems, wear, etc.)? It is a .45 and he wants $250. Also... are parts available for this?

Thank You!!

[This message has been edited by gtmeyer (edited January 18, 2000).]

Does it look sound? Does the finish look new? They have been good guns and continue to be so. Reliable and in a good caliber.
Good luck.

Kilroy...
...was here

I bought a new Star PD in the late 1970s while in college...it was my first .45 ACP. It is a great carry gun, but it is truly (as Cooper has stated) a weapon "...to be carried much and shot seldom...". I shot mine quite a bit with 230gr FMJ and the alloy frame (especially around the rails) started coming apart in little bits and pieces.

Otherwise, it was accurate and reliable. I later traded it in on another handgun but can't remember which one.

Good luck...
Mike

Mike, Thank you for your input. This is what I was looking for. I'm not really looking for a weapon, I'm looking for a shooter. I want to buy a decent, but reasonably priced gun (I'm actually looking for several right now) that I can hold onto for a while. I'll take a good hard look at the rails. Thank you!

You're certainly welcome. BTW, as a point of reference, IIRC I paid approx $250 to $300 for the PD new in 1976 or 77...bought it at a K-Mart.

Just so you can relate to what your neighbor is asking for the piece.

Mike

I too own a Star Pd. It's a nice gun, and parts are somewhat easy to find (springs and extra mags). However, if you are wanting a gun to shoot alot, I wouldn't suggest it. One of the problems with the PD, as stated above, is if it's shot a lot, the alloy fram tends to start falling apart.

------------------
"If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed" Exodus 22:2

Back