Newbie needs advice regarding trap shotgun

The shotgun you have would be a good one, whatever it is. Don't get trapped by the idea you have to be breaking q00 straight by next week, use your present shotgun and have fun. After using it for a while, you'll have a better idea of what needs to be changed to suit YOU, and proceed according.

Of course, if you've no shotgun at present,try the Remington 1100, the Beretta 390 and 391 series(Never owned one, but folks whose opinions I trust use them)or peruse the used gun ads on the BB at your local range.

If you like pumps, and don't mind the slight disadvantage you get with one, the 870 Remington is one of the best shotguns ever made....

Hi there, I'm new to trap shooting also and bought a Remington 1100 Classic Trap. A very nice gun. Gun fit is most important. You won't go wrong for the price about $700. Of course there are the Perrazzi's and Ljutic's, although BIG BUCKS!

Good Luck,
Carol

xtrarnds:

When you say "trap" do you mean general clay targets or specifically trap -- 5 shots at 5 stations in a semi-circle, 16 yards back from the house, single birds going out at random angles? Sometimes the term trap can be used to apply to other target games. There are several recent posts in the archives explaining the differences.

For trap any gun will do to start. A 12 gauge with a modified choke or tighter is recommended for trap because the birds are going away. My first trap gun was a Remington 870 field model that I shot for a year until the bug bit to get a gun specific to the game.

Because trap is single target, action type doesn't matter as much. However, guns specifically designed for trap are set up to shoot higher. If you intend to also shoot skeet or sporting clays a semi-auto or over/under is preferable because the second shot is a little harder with a pump. Sporting and skeet guns shoot flatter because the targets are not always rising and going away.

Enjoy the game and remember that feeling of satisfaction when you turn a spinning clay target into a puff of smoke. I still love that feeling regardless of what my score happens to be at the time.

HI
I'm a new shooter too! After trying out several different guns I purchased the Beretta Urika AL 391. I liked the light weight and the pin release button and it just felt the best. The shims that come with it are great so you can adjust the stock to fit you. Enjoying the sport and meeting a lot of neat people.
Smoke them one at a time.

Maureen

dont know if anyone still uses them anymore but when i used to shoot competitive trap and skeet, i shot a browning bt-99. very nice gun, it was the old style with the flat fore stock.

glockcop

Back