Newbie hunting scopes

indyspc

Retired Screen Name
I am looking at a Remington 700 VS and a Simmons 4x12x40 scope. Is this scope appropriate for the range of this rifle? What are your opinions, experiences, and suggestions? Keep in mind I am not putting this scope on a $2000 + Steyer or such and am new to shooting long arms.

Also, I am looking into a Marlin 336 CS w/ a Simmons 3x9x36. I ask the same questions as above.

I ask about the Simmons because that is what comes on these two.

Steve

I've personally never owned a Simmons scope. I've also never heard anyone ranting about how great they are. You almost always get what you pay for in optics. The scopes on these two rifles are not adding much to the overall value. If your dealer seems fairly proud of them, I'd suggest he take them off and keep them and give you a better price on the guns. I doubt he'll do that though.

Every scope I own is a Leupold except for a Tasco I put on a 10/22 I recently bought. I've NEVER had a single problem with any of my Leupolds. The Tasco is okay, but not even close to the quality of a Leupold, not even in the ballpark. But, it has performed well on the 10/22.

BTW, what calibers are these rifles, and what's the asking price? Just being nosey.

:)

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

[This message has been edited by muleshoe (edited May 17, 2000).]

The Remington is $650 w/o scope. He wants $189 for the scope. The only Leupold I saw in the case was about $300 or so.
And the Marlin is $360 as a set.
Should I refuse both Simmons scopes? I am new and can always upgrade later along with a McMillan stock and some trigger work when my skills and wallet are in better shape.

Ooops, the Remington is in .308 and the MArlin is a .30-30

Steve aka "indyspc"

[This message has been edited by Indy Steve (edited May 17, 2000).]

The only Simmons I have owned was a 6-18X40 Adjustable Objective specifically designated air rifle scope. It went south on my airgun in 17 rounds.

I have seen Leupold 3-9x32 Vari-X II in gloss for $219 on sale on the internet or mail order. Check out the SWFA ads in the GunList or on the net.

I can personally recommend the Bausch and Lomb Elite 3000 series. They are a steal now that the Elite 3200 series has been out and dealers are closing out the 3000's. The 3-9X40 is especially nice at $189 at a gunshow.

Since the Remington is a 700VS (Varmint Synthetic) with heavy barrel (and very, very accurate), if you are target or varmint shooting, the Tasco SS10X42 tactical scope with rear parallax adjustment and mil-dot reticle that is offered by SWFA for $299 is absolutely incredible at that price. I had one on my Remington 700PSS and only sold it when a friend offered me more that I paid at the same time I was looking in lust at a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40LR M3 mil-dot tactical scope. I bought the Leupold and sold the Tasco. I am buying another Tasco for a different rifle. It costs less than half the Leupold, but I cannot say the Leupold is over 200% better.

I have found in optics the old maxim of "The sweetness of low price is rapidly lost in the bitterness of low quality," is very, very true having tasted bitter.

Just curious about what you want to use this for. ;)

A Marlin 336 in .30-30 and a 700VS in .308 are pretty different beasts. One is a long range precision rifle and the other an excellent utilitarian hunting piece. :)

700PSS,

I am going to use the Marlin for dense wilderness of Florida and the Remington for my trips back home where the deer get bigger than they do here.

Thanks for the info. I will skip on the Simmons and get a better scope for each. I have heard elsewhere that these are not worth the money.

bk40, thank you for the link.

I've owned mostly Leupold and they are great scopes. A friend of mine got a BSA 4-16X50 and he likes it a lot ($99.95 at SWFA). I think BSA are made in China, but quality is good. Still I would recommend a Leupold; depends on your budget. Good Luck

I have a Simmons scope that served me well for five or six years. Simmons sub-contracts out the manufacture to different companies at different times. Mine was made in South Korea and is pretty good, I checked out a later one made in the Phillipines that was junk.

For $189 I'd tell him to keep his Simmons and buy some better glass that you KNOW will be good.

Bongos:

BSA has a number of levels. The upper end is made in Japan and supposed to be pretty nice and very reasonable. The Chinese stuff is the low end and, well... is low end.

700PSS Shooter,
Thanks for the info...I'm actually thinking of getting one myself for the 1903 we were discussing on the other post. Do you think I should get a Weaver like one of the original Sniper Scopes of WWII? Or something basic like a BSA. I have a Leupold 3X10.5 Vari X-III on my PSS, but I don't want to spend the $$$. Any suggestions is very helpful.

The Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40LR M3 mil-dot scope that 700PSS Shooter mentioned looks like the winner. As much as my VS but sure to be well worth it. Now to see where the best deal is.

Steve: A very wise decision. Check out SWFA.com first then try the auction sights. Unless SWFA is having a close-out sale their prices can usually be beat. Seems like last time I was there they had the 6.5-20x50 on sale for about $450 or so. I don't need one right now but am still thinking of buying one for future needs. You'll love the scope, it'll be a real sweet setup on the VS.

------------------

muleshoe,
SWFA wants $629.95 for this scope. I have asked my shop to see if they can get close. I will find out tomorrow. Still searching around for other sites to see what other deals are out there.

Steve: My mistake, it's the 8.5-25x40 that's $430, too much scope for my use. I've got a couple of 3.5-10's, one is 40mm the other 50mm, not the mil-dot though. you'll love it I'm sure. My next will probably be a 4.5-14, just gotta wait for them to go on sale.

:)

------------------

indyspc, IMHO 3x9x36 maybe a little too much on the Marlin for hunting here in Florida. I have a Winchester 94 (30-30) with Weaver 1x3x25 which is a very compact set up and the scope is great for close shots and at 3x is good enough for 100+ yards. Good scope for about $150.

taco,

True. I was first looking at the Marlin 336M Stainless but it was $429. The guy had a 336 CS w/ said Simmons atop at $360 (cheapest around here). I got the package deal. I suppose I will hit the range a few times before stepping into the swampy woods.

By the way is there a break in regimine for the barrels on these 336's? Do I need to shoot FMJ for a while then whatever else?

Bongos for the sporter, whatever, but consider the Bausch and Lomb Elite 3000 closeouts. Very reasonable and quite nice for around $200. Finding a period steel tube weaver that is still sharp and above all clear is hard. They are often cloudy with age.

Indy Steve: The M3 variant has 1 MOA elevation knob with a bullet drop compensator cam. It comes with cams for .223 I believe 62 gr., .308 168gr HPBT, .30-06 173 match, and .300 WinMag. It is calibrated in yards for the first 3, and meters for the .300. The windage knob is 1/2 MOA. Many shooters feel 1 MOA is too coarse. It was designed for military use (the M3A) with one complete turn of the knob accounting for 100-1000 yards. In contrast, the M1 variant has 1/4 MOA click knobs for both. Otherwise they are the same scope. Leupold can install M1 elevation knob on the M3 for $67.

I just saw the new Vari-X III 4.5-14x50LR. Very nice. I am not a fan of 50mm optics (heavy), but Leupold will install M1 knobs for $120. It would still be less than the M3 at around $600-650. It is a very nice looking and viewing scope. Big bright image.

In the summer, with 14X, mirage could be a problem after about 10 rounds. My PSS with a 10X had heavy mirage on a hot day with a hot barrel.

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited May 20, 2000).]

700PSS-

Not trying to nit-pick, but the M3's aren't really a "cam" per se, just a 1 MOA click knob marked for a particular load. I have used actual cam type BDC's and find the M3 superior, probably since all the cam types I have used were friction adjustments, not the clicks like I prefer.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Back