newbie "hunting" for a .308

Jesse

Inactive
Having just sold my M1A, I am now looking for the best .308 hunting rifle I can find (new or used) for $850 or less. I have heard opinions about the advantages of synthetic stocks, glass bedding, free floating barrels, claw extractors, bolt/lever actions, stainless steel, etc. I wonder, though, what is really important for a decent all-around hunting rifle.

So I must ask the question: After all the "advice" which rifle did you choose (Browning, Rem, Ruger, Tikka, Sako, Savage, SIG, Win, etc.) and WHY?

Jesse. Any of the bolt action rifles you mentioned are good. I have a Winchester Model 70 Ranger youth model that I won in a raffle. I was trying for the .300 Weatherby that was first prize. It didn't shoot worth a damn in it's little hardwood stock. I had a ramline synthetic for the short action Mod. 70 so I dropped it into that. Good shooter now, one of my best. It is a push feed, blued version. I have 3 Ruger Internationals in .308, a Remington 660, and a custom lightweight Mauser also in .308. Do I like the .308? I sure do. BTW. The Mauser weighs exactly 5 pounds with scope, sling and ammo. The only thing about it that was not light weight was the price.
Just how accurate does your rifle have to be? 1.5 inches at 100 is more than adequate. I think most .308's will do better. Savage is supposed to be very accurate, but has a crappy trigger. The International Ruger are a bit touchy accuracy-wise as to ammo. The Model 70 seems pretty good after a trigger job. I think most current rifles will need trigger work or replacement before they will be top shooters.
Remingtons are usually pretty good shooters out of the box.
My best suggestion is pick the one that feels best to you. Stay away from the heavy barrel semi-varmint and target jobs. Make sure you try it for feel after the scope has been mounted. That can sometimes change the balance radically.
Good luck on your search for a rifle you like.
Paul B.

Back