newbie from Peru

gonado

Inactive
Hi im new to the forum and to rifle shooting, i have plenty of experience with handguns and shotgun but bery littl3 with rifles just some shots with a .22lr, thats why i want to ask if a .243 is a good rifle to start with i know .22lr is the ideal caliber to start but here guns are expensive and law doesnt help either so i cant afford to have 2 rifles right now and i also want to use it for dear hunting.Please let me know if it is possible to learn good technique and accurate shoting with that cartridgeThanksPs sorry if this is not the right place for this threat

Welcome to the forum.
There's not a thing wrong with the .243 for deer hunting, or learning to become a good rifleman, either.
Just investigate the choices of bullets that are available in that caliber, and use the load that's best for your purpose.
How large are your deer?

Welcome

I'm not a fan of the .243

My taste aside, it makes for a great dual purpose, small game and deer sized game rifle combination.
It is a flat shooting varmint cartridge that also is quite effective on deer. You must tailor your loads and bullets to your game, but there are many people that find it suitable for their needs.

Welcome to the forum! A .243 is a fast and flat round, but according to the size of deer you find in Peru, they are probably somewhat hefty. I would go with a higher caliber that has many choices of bullet grains. A 30.06 could range from 150 grains to significantly higher bullet weights, and the spent casings are easily reloaded. There are also many makes and models from bolt action to semi-auto. I'd recommend a bolt action with fewer parts.

Here we have the white tail deer and a native deer called taruca that can be hunt only some times of the year because is a vulnerable specie it weights between 45 and 60 kg
Our laws are kinda strict for firearms and its not legal to reload bullets

The .243 is one of my favorites. I've killed over two dozen whitetail deer with it. I like the very-low recoil, among other things.

Probably the best bullet choice is one in the range of 90 to 105 grains in weight. Anything in that weight range will do just fine.

If the twist rate of the rifle is slower than one turn in nine inches (1:9), a shorter/lighter bullet might be needed for best accuracy. 80 to 90 grains in weight.

243 will have plenty of power for white tail deer. A native deer weighing 45-60 kg is smaller than a white tail, so no problem there.

60kg?
We have dogs and pigs around here bigger than that. :)
Don't worry about using a .243 at all.
Heck, a .223 with heavier bullets would probably do, if your country allows military calibers.

Last edited:
Welcome from Florida.
My father, an avid hunter born and raised in the West Virginia hills, hunted with the .30-06 most of his life until he discovered the .243 which then became his favorite caliber.
It worked for him.

A .243 would seem near ideal for your situation, assuming ammo is readily available. My Tikka .243 is one of my favorite rifles. I would be interested to know what gun laws are like in Peru.

gary

Some questions

What brands of rifles are available for you to purchase?

American, such as Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Browning,or others?

Or maybe European, such as Tikka, Sako, Mauser, or others?

What brands of ammo do you have available, Remington, Winchester, Federal, Norma, or others?

Back