Newbie equipment question

npv

I have the following 9mm handguns –

S&W Performance Center 952,
CZ-75 Tactical Sport,
Sig 226 x5 – Competition, and
Beretta 92

I was giving some thought to shooting in IDPA or IPSC – which of these guns is allowed for use in these competitions?

I don’t think I follow when SA, DA, or SA/DA is legal?

Thanks for the help

-npv

Well, the 92 is a good Production class gun.

The X5 in 40 is a good Limited 10 gun, in 9mm it is a good steel gun.

The 952, don't know much about it.

The 75TS in 40 is a reasonable Limited gun and a good Limited 10 gun.

Take your 92, a holster, at least 5 magazines and 4 mag pouches and a smile to the next USPSA match you can find. Shoot Production class. You are limited to 10 rounds in the magazines, and the first shot must be DA. That really is about all you need to know, the guys and gals you meet will take care of the rest at the match. Ask if anyone shoots IDPA, someone there will. Ask them about the local IDPA matches, equipment that you have, and go shoot an IDPA match. The guys and gals you meet there will help you with any and all details that you should know.

Get out and shoot a match, don't delay!! It will be the most fun you have ever had with a handgun!!

I have a 952 and have discovered through knowledgable competition shooters on this forum, it's can be used, but division placement is difficult. Plus, I believe the 9 round magazine is a slight disadvantage. I do know, competition style holsters for that model are hard to find, if manufactured at all. You should have luck with the other three model handguns.

As best I know:

S&W Performance Center 952,

IDPA ESP. The 9+1 capacity is a very minor drawback, otherwise a fine pistol if you can manage the slide mounted safety.
USPSA/IPSC Limited - 10. The 9+1 capacity is a slight drawback, 9mm caliber is a substantial drawback because of Minor Power Factor scoring.

CZ-75 Tactical Sport,

Not allowed for IDPA, too heavy.
USPSA/IPSC Limited or Limited 10; 9mm caliber is a substantial drawback because of Minor Power Factor scoring.

Sig 226 x5 – Competition,

Not allowed for IDPA, too heavy.
USPSA/IPSC Limited or Limited 10; 9mm caliber is a substantial drawback because of Minor Power Factor scoring .

Beretta 92

IDPA SSP. Fine for the job, Ernest Langdon won big time with one before he went to Sigarms and then to S&W following the money.
USPSA/IPSC Production; everything scores Minor in Production, you will be at no disadvantage.

If you want to shoot USPSA/IPSC in any Division except Production with your Beretta, you need a .40 (or maybe a .45 if you are a traditionalist like me) loaded to Major Power Factor for higher hit values.

For IDPA, use the 952 or Beretta.

thanks to all

Jim thanks for the info I did find the patience to read the manual and I came to the same conclusions that you did...

Like HSMITH says, most clubs will let you shoot what you have for non-sanctioned matches. That'd be informal practices. Go shoot and have fun. You may find you don't like it. Both IPSC and IDPA are shooting games and neither are remotely practical. Pins and plates are just as much fun without all the silly rules.

Back