Newbie deer hunter

j.s.parker

My brother-in-law wants me to go deer hunting with him this fall. I have a win mod94 top eject. Would a receiver sight do ok? What's the effective range? Scope mounting with top eject is a little tricky isn't it? I'm also left handed. Oh, well I guess I won't go.

depends what kind of deer hunting you are doing

i still hunt PA mountains
i seldom see a deer more than 50 yards out
i have shot them at 20 yards with a 20 guage slug & a bead site
the laurel scrub obscures the deer outside of the zone of fire i command
iron sights are more then enough
unless you are field hunting at +50 yard ranges

HTH

dZ

The model 94 Winchester has probably taken more deer than any other rifle. I don't like them but you can't argue with success!

No need to scope it since it's effective range for deer is about the same as the effective range of the open sights (100 to 150 yards).

If, after your introductory experience, you like deer hunting, there are some really good lefty bolt guns out there.

Be safe and I.D. your target carefully before firing. If it turns out to be your brother-in-law there is no need to field dress him or take him to the checking station before taking him directly to the emergency room. Unless, of course, you are interested in the meat if he doesn't make it...

Mikey
(tongue firmly in cheek)

dZ; Thanks for your reply. Location will be ne washington state. Open fields and woods. What the heck I'll go and see what happens. Be safe.

Mikey; I've been reading up on Savage. They've got alot of lefty bolt actions. Reasonaby priced too. Great line about my brother-in-law. Take care and be safe.

J.S.: Do yourself a favor and buy a Williams receiver peep sight and mount it on the back; the holes are already there, and are pre-tapped. Cost is about $35. You'll see your accuracy REALLY increase. A post front sight helps, too. I sighted in a friend's M-94 a couple of months ago after he had done this, and found that groups of under 2" were the rule (!?) from the bench with Hornady Custom 150g at 100 yards!!!

Don't bother putting in the tiny aperature; you'll give up too much visibility, and you shoot about as well with a ghost ring.

I would feel just fine shooting at well-defined, standing (preferably grazing) mule deer or whitetail at up to 150 yards with an iron-sighted rifle of similar accuracy. The whole point is, of course, to be able to use your M-94 without spending the cost of another rifle.

Long Path; Yeah a receiver sight sounds just fine. You're right, the point is I don't want to spend money on a new rifle. Thanks.

Back