newbie 870 question

sigmund

I have several handguns, but am considering a shotgun for the ultimate HD weapon. Know very little about SGs. A local dealer has a Remington 870 Express Combo (2 barrels, a 28" choke modified tube and a 20" deer with rifle sights) on sale for $359. Questions:
1. Is this a good price?
2. I assume the deer barrel is rifled for slugs. Can it also be used for shot for HD? (I'm assuming I want a short barrel for HD, and that I don't want to be shooting slugs in the house. Mom always said, "NOT IN THE HOUSE")
3. Is the 28" choke modified tube barrel good for clays, something I think I would like to get into?
4. If the above combo doesn't make sense, they have an 870 with the 28" choke barrel for $229. Would it make more sense to buy this (again thinking about clays) and then buy some other short barrel for HD?

Thanks in advance.

at the price you listed, I would be willing to bet that the barrell is a smooth bore. for the $229 one, you shold be able to find an 18" used cylinder barrel for about $100 (at least where I live). sounds like the better deal if you're not lookin for a slug gun. I like lead BBB goose loads for the house. If you want to shoot a single projectile, get a carbine. Love the 870

Rutgers

Well since you answered my question prior to me making an ass of myself, I will answer your question with what I know about that combo. I love it. The short barrel with rifle sight is a smooth bore and has no rifling. It is good with shot or slugs too.

The choke that comes with the shot barrel would be fine for clays IMO. I am not a clay shooter but I beleive it is open enough for skeet. I bought an extra full choke for turkey and it is TIGHT at a good range.

I store my 870 with the short barrel and loaded with 00 buck for HD. Hope this helps.

Cabela's also sells a barrel made by Mossberg to fit the 870. I think it 18.5" for 79.95

------------------
Don't give up too much ground. You'll have none to Stand on...
-Magoo1-

Back