Newb to Deer Hunting!

CarJunkieLS1

Like the title says I'm new to deer hunting, I've pretty much hunted any kind of small game Alabama has to offer, but I've never shot a deer. I'm 28 years old so its time...lol. I've got some guys at work and some at church that are gonna take me deer hunting with them this November. I've got several questions so please guys bare with me. I'm a deer hunting NEWB.

1. What type of equipment will be beneficial to me. i.e. clothing,gloves,boots,etc.

2. Are some clothing better to remain "unseen" and "scent free" than others.

3. Where do I need to shoot the deer to make him DRT. I have been told where I'll be hunting that if it runs I may not be able to recover it.

I'm sure there is alot more things I've overlooked and haven't thought of and please share any advice you have. If you have any questions for me don't hesitate to ask. Thanks

Below is a picture of the kill zone, a shot that hits both the heart and lungs will pretty well do the trick most of the time, I have heard of a few freak incidents where it did not however, deer are tough animals.
C50C4F79-ABBE-4D9F-8C4E-7E08A913A8E5-2536-0000013DEDBCC53E_zps948babeb.jpg

As for scent control the type of clothing you use is not so important as controlling the scent that it picks up. Wash it (ALL OF IT, boots, socks, underwear) in scent killing detergent, apply a good scent control spray after it dries, then store it in some type of airtight bag or scent control bag.

Depending on the where and how late in November you go BUNDLE UP! Invest in some high quality base layers, nothing sucks more than having to be dead quiet and stone still when it's 27 F outside (I know 27 isn't that cold to some of you but in GA that's freakin COLD).

Find out whether you'll be hunting from a stand or the ground. If the ground your legs will get fidgety, fall asleep, and otherwise make it difficult to stay quiet, unless you have a seat. I recently went to bass pro and picked up a couple $10 three legged hunting stools, no more tingling legs.

Also, are you bringing your own rifle that you have practiced with?

Thanks for the informative post that helps a bunch. I'll be hunting in stands or shooting houses. I hate cold weather so I'll bundle up for sure...

I bought a rifle early this year to deer hunt with. I've been waiting to deer hunt a long time lol. Its a Tikka T3 Lite .270 Win that I handloaded 130gr Nosler Accubonds 3.300 COAL with 56.5 gr IMR4831 that shoots 1/2 3 shot groups consistently.

I'm thinking about "high shoulder" shots. That should be a few inches up from that diagram correct? Do I have enough "power" to make that shot and the bullet make the deer DRT and kill it cleanly.

Plenty of power dont worry about the 270 it will do the job easy IF you do yours & put it where it goes.The high shoulder is a DRT. SHOT. No tracking needed 99% of the time.GOOD luck & have a great time. Lots of deer in ALA. you'll get your first no problem.Remember lets see the PICS.;)

I'll post pics when/if I shoot one along with a play by play story. It will be a while though centerfire season don't start until November 23rd. I'm super excited and can't wait...

Thinking in terms of sitting in a box blind when it's below 40F and sorta humid: Kind of clothing doesn't matter all that much as long as it's in layers. For sitting in a stand, I've always liked some sort of quilted leg covering under any old khaki pants. Upper body, a down jacket over shirt and tee-shirt. IMO, boots oughta be sized for thick wool socks.

And an old blanket to wrap around my legs and feet, just for something extra. The trouble with a box blind is that when just sitting for any length of time, you don't work any muscles and keep them loose and warm. Easy to feel uncomfortably cold. That makes you stiff, so when Bambi shows up you could easily bump your rifle against the wall and spook him.

Shooting is the easy part. The sitting and waiting is the hard part.

And don't forget to take an empty milk jug to pee in. :)

Ah, the lower the temp, the sweeter that wood smoke from the stove smells....

I just got mine installed in the shooting house last week. No more propane for me!

May I suggest that you google "deer shoulder shots."

I'm not a ballistics expert...but I think that the Accubond's should perform well on 2/3's high shoulder shots, though their is a chance of missing high.
Do not try for head shots...because there is a possibility of shooting the deer's jaw off, which will have it condemned too starvation. Neck shots, still have a chance of missing the spinal neck column.

I prefer fingertipless camo gloves for hunting, with a few spare pair of black or brown polypropylene gloves, that fit well underneath them.

I have two pair of 17" high, Gore Tex camo snakeboots, that suit me well for my hunting needs in most situations. Get a good pair of thick hunting socks, with polypro's underneath them.

I use amplified hearing muffs for most of my firearm hunting outings. Cabelas has just come out with a new pair of camo Howard Leight muffs --- which I prefer --- but practice with the muffs enough; so that they don't hit the rifle when you raise it to your shoulder. I prefer a shoulders forward stance, that tends to not have the rifle hit the headphones.

I do like the chemical warm packs, along with a good pair of eyepro safety glasses.

Last edited:
Shooting a deer through the shoulder is usually a guarantee that he won't go far, but I would favor more midline rather than high. There is a spot behind the shoulder that if hit will knock the deer down, then he'll get up and run off. Had it happen. Of course if you hit the shoulder you will mess up some meat--it's a tradeoff. The .270 with Accubonds is a great choice. Take your time and get settled for the shot--that first deer you aim at is one exciting moment!

Agreed, I always go for the soft organs ( heart/lungs) with projectiles that will expand rapidly & produce maximun hydrostatic shock.

Since we don't know the area, and probably the people that are taking you hunting do, I'd recommend you posing this question to them.

Thanks guys for all the info its been very helpful. I'm liking the shoulder shot more and more. If I miss high I get spine, forward I get neck, low I get heart, back I get lungs.

I'm glad I have a great load. You guys don't know it but research I did on this site helped me make my caliber and bullet choice. And yes as mentioned your first deer is exciting...hope I don't miss or freeze up lol. I'm excited and get all giddy just thinking about it. And I won't get to hunt until Nov. 23 at the earliest.

Smartwool base layer top and bottom - I believe it's made from Merino Wool. Holy crap, that stuff is AWESOME. Then pants and shirt(I prefer a mock T), then insulated bibs(only if it's really cold) and a good jacket. Fingerless gloves are great, too.

Yes on bringing something to pee in.

Jolly Ranchers are great to suck on while you're waiting.

My vote is for a heart/lungs shot. I don't know that whitetail is different than muleys, mine die just fine with a good placement in that area.

I have no idea what your environment is like, so I can't help much.

I wear a camo hat, camo coat with hood (if its real cold I wear a Carheart coat under it), camo pants (if its real cold I'll wear long johns under them), no gloves (if its very cold I might use jersey gloves but I don't like gloves when I'm hunting), and Rocky 800 insulated boots. I do not wear insulated socks.

I wear camo mostly, but I sometimes wear blue jeans. I don't bother with scent away stuff. I get a deer every year without it.

Heart or lung shots

Your gun should be plenty. I use a .243 in a Savage 110.

Best thing to do is listen to your friends.

You've probably already thought of this but as far as safety goes, make sure of your shot and more importantly your backstop.

It's very easy to get caught up in the moment and get 'tunnel vision' when that first deer is in your sights and then forget to look beyond that trophy. Remember, a broadside shot in the 'tenderbox'(heart/lung) is usually a pass through so a good backstop is crucial.

3. Where do I need to shoot the deer to make him DRT. I have been told where I'll be hunting that if it runs I may not be able to recover it.

Shooting a deer through the shoulder is usually a guarantee that he won't go far

I've heard that, too ........ but ....

There are no guarantees that an animal will fall DRT- I've seen deer shot through the shoulders, and go sprawling arse over teakettle, lay there a couple of seconds, and get back up and run again ...... and I've seen deer shot through the lungs walk in a circle and lay down and die.

I hunt for meat, so I don't shoot them in the shoulder intentionally. Bone shards and bullet fragments make for bad venison. Deer shot through the lungs with an expanding bullet will die in short order ........ they may go 100 yards or so, but they have to breathe to live. Putting a .270 WIN through their lungs will put a stop to that, and using Accubonds and a broadside shot will pretty much ensure a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow with gloves on.

Back