New Zealand Gun Laws - Anyone have info?

Check out "The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy" by Gary Kleck for a rundown of their laws.

He said the people are happy with their gun laws, which, I believe, include registration. They can own handguns, but I think they are fairly tightly controlled.

Im new here but being an avid kiwi shooter I thought Id help out .NZ laws A class license rifle,shotguns,[bolt,lever,pump,some semi-autos] requires background check safety test plus manadatory security cabinets for all classes no registering YET.B class[handguns]very diffcult to get,must be a club member.C class [collectors]full-automatic,military very diffcult to get must be bona fide by police.D class [dealers] must be bona fide by police,diffcult.E class [Military,Style,Semi-Automatic] rifle/shotgun with either 7 round capacity or military appearance. Generally A class is easiest to obtain everything else requires serious hoop-jumping.The NZ police are the issuing authority nationally.We dont have a 2nd amendment so forget self defence.Gun Laws are getting tougher all the time here full registartion is a looming problem but we still have 250 000 gun owners out of a total pop of 3.6 million. Hope this helps p.s. hunting/fishing outdoor paradise.

The only thing I know about NZ is from "More Guns, Less Crime" by Lott: New Zealand, along with Finland, Switzerland, and Israel, were stated as having firearm OWNERSHIP RATES equal to or higher than the US.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited November 03, 1999).]

If I was a New Zealander and couldn't find a firearm to buy, I'd get one of those wicked looking battle axes. The indiginous people used to use them for thier tribal battles. Big wood axes w/broad sharpened hardwood or metal/ bone inserted edge. Formidable weapon. I think its a shame that its socially unacceptable, if not illegal, to openly carry one of those around town and to work and back. A missionary showed me one. It was awesome. Kind of the "Sig Sauer" of the battle axes I've seen. BTW, Chachingagook of The Last of the Mohicans fame carried and used one skillfully. Great movie. Sorry to ramble....

Back