New Yard sale Revolver

jspappap

HPIM1287.JPG

HPIM1291.JPG

HPIM1292.JPG

I'm new to black powder but am surely addicted. I'm just trying to figure out how to add pictures. I bought the Navy 44 Cal Revolver at a yard sale, last week for $20.00. It was disassembled in a box. After bringing it home I saw somebody had disassembled it with a hammer, pliers and a screw driver. They drove the wedge out and destroyed it and left a bunch of gouges all over the frame. I'm slowly stoning all the nicks and dings out and will try to find a replacement wedge and screw. The other 2 photos are of a stock I'm working on for my 50 cal hawken kit . My first attempts at carving and inletting. I tried to post more pics but am limited to 3. Will post more of the Smoke Pole stock pictures.

That is a brass framed 1860 Army. You will have a fine shooter, just don't try magnum level loads in her.

How can you tell the difference between an Army and a Navy. I thought that since it had the ships engraved on the cylinder it was Navy.

Navy has an octagonal barrel and a simple reloading lever hinge and a dot front sight. That 1860 has a sleek design and a rack and pinion reloading lever and a blade front sight.

Replacement wedge

Thank you much for the Identification help. Do you have any idea where I can find a replacement wedge and screw

Found my Wedge Parts

A place called Midway USA had all the parts for this revolver in stock so I ordered a replacement screw set while I was at it so I could all the screws which were chewed up pretty badly. Again thanks for all your help.

You have to be pretty careful in reference to "Army" and "Navy"

The Army or Navy designation technically refers to the caliber. .36 being the Navy caliber and .44 being the Army.

1851 pattern revolvers (Colt plus some copies) were made in the Navy Caliber and consequently the 1851 Pattern revolver has taken on the moniker, 1851 Navy without regard to caliber. That name is only completely correct if the revolver is in .36 caliber. On the other hand the 1860 Colt was made in .44 and has come to be known as the 1860 Army. The .36 caliber version of it has a completely different model number (1861)

Add in all of the variants and copies and the picture becomes a little muddy. It is easy to make mis-statements and leave stuff out.

Your revolver is a brass frame in the 1860 Pattern (.44) which did not have a historical prototype in the nineteenth century AFAIK.

Load it light as others have said.

You do have my sympathy. You are now afflicted with an illness which is permanent.

Last edited:
Doc' and everybody else
Thanks for all the great info. If I had only found this addiction 50 years ago I could have saved a fortune on a bunch of fast cars n boats that are all in the scrap yard. " " WHOODATHUNK Reborn at 70 "

:D

It was loaded

I almost forgot 5 of the 6 nipples had caps stuck on them and 2 of the barell chambers had balls n powder in them. The people I bought it from said it was in their Grampas basement for probably 5-10 years or longer.

:eek:

Is it a Uberti, a Pietta or ???

How can I tell who made it so I can order the correct parts ? Its stamped CVA but Imported from Italy. :confused:

I'm believing that CVA sold Uberti, Euroarms and ASM manufactured revolvers, but I don't know how to tell 'em apart if there are no stamps/markings other than CVA on them. Look for other small stamps and let us know.

CVA imported revolvers from...

Armi San Marco until Pietta took over.

Armi San Marco is denoted by the letters "ASM" arranged in a triangle. Pietta would be marked with Pietta e Flli (and sons).

Since this is an import from CVA, the revolver may or may not be marked with the manufacturer.

I do not know which year ASM stopped making cap and ball revolvers but I think either Hawg or Fingers might know. (1993 or something like that?) If you can get a date code from the revolver that would tell you likely who made it.

In the end it matters little since any part you buy will not likely drop in to a revolver even if it is made directly for the revolver. It is part of the fun of shooting these revolvers to do the fitting and tuning.

Is it a Uberti or a Pietta or ???

All,
It's marked with a number D82639 along with with several unreadable stamps on the flat under the barrel. It does have a PN stamped on the cylinder face and on the bottom of the Brass frame. It only has three screw in the side of the frame and the only examples I can find of this after looking at many many many parts lists are for Pietta. everything else shows four screws. I guess that's as close as I can get to proper identification. I already ordered parts for a Uberti while I was still in the throws of excitement after I first got it back together ( I'm sure you understand that ). Then after reality took over and I started investigating and this was probably the wrong decision. They'll be here in a couple of days. I'll keep you posted if they fit or not. Again thanks for all the Adviceand help. Thiis is a great group to belong to.

JS

I have two CVA 1860s in brass from ASM. I will check the serial numbers on them to see if the format matches.

You will know quickly if the parts you bought will go in with some filing, or if you would be better off, going for Pietta parts.

There are some ASM part still out there but primarily they are screws. Some vendors will tell you they have ASM and ASP internal parts, but the parts are very likely recent manufacture from a jobber who is only SAYING they are direct replacement. All Dixie will say is that they have parts for Pietta, for Uberti, or for "Italian revolvers" (Which is everything else.)

Wedge

Doc,
Thanks for the reply. I am a retired machinist and can probably make it fit unless its just way out of proportion.

ITS an ASM

Doc,
I dug out the old jewelers loupe and a bright light and can see a large A with an M stamped on the crossbar that also looks like and S when turned sideways. So I'm guessing its an ASM. . Now I can only hope the parts I ordered for a Uberti actually fit.

Yep...

That is ASM. No direct replacement parts available or darned few.

The revolver in good condition is worth about 150.00. Maybe a little less when Cabela's is running a sale (like they are right now).

With your skills you can easily get it operating properly.

Back