New Witness 10mm first impressions

Marcus

I just picked up my new toy today. :) Full size, steel frame Witness 10mm with "wonder finish" (silver tenifer). The first thing I noticed was the cheap green plastic box it came in. I`d rather they`d save the box and include an extra mag instead. This box is nowhere near as nice as those included with most other handguns these days. There was a nice pair of bore brushes included though. The gun was dripping with oil so I didn`t get a really good look at it until I got it home. The finish is nice and even, it looks much like bead blasted stainless. Fit is good,tight lockup and slide fit. The trigger has some stacking and a little creep, nowhere near as good as my CZ-75 out of the box but it may smooth up some with use. If not a trip to EGW should straighten it out. :) The grip feels really good, almost as good as my 75 (course the 75 has Hogue grips) and I like the beavertail grip tang. The magazine baffles me, although it`s a reduced 10rd. mag it sticks below the grip frame over 1/8" and then has a thick plasic baseplate that makes the butt 3/8" longer than it needs to be. Not the greatest thing for a CCW. Strangely the pics in the manual show flat baseplates that don`t stick out. Overall it seems like a pretty good gun for the money,not quite as good as the CZs but then CZ doesn`t make a 10mm. :) Marcus

Marcus; I'd like to get a 10mm myself but can't afford a Glock 20. Reem it out good and tell us how it shoots okay? Most reports I've heard have been favorable. Have fun, J. Parker

Let us know how you like it after you get a few rounds through it. I've got a compact .40 Witness in WF for my carry gun that I really like. I'd like to try a 10 sometime. I hike alot in cougar and bear country, something with a little more power than the .40 might not be a bad thing. And its an excuse to get another gun!

I need to get my hands on a CZ to compare.

Bri

Save your money and get the Glock 20. It sucks up the recoil like a champ. And I'm getting 2" groups at 25 yards and 3" groups at 50 yards.

I was looking at one of the 10mm Witnesses at a gunshow I was recently at.

Any thoughts on how well it will hold up to repeated firing with hot 10mm?

I've have both the full size and compact EAA 10mm. I'm now up to 7500 hot handloads in both. No problems, very accurate and I can shoot hard lead in it unlike a stock Glock. Wolff Springs carry the stronger recoil springs, which I recommend .. My only complaint it the brass goes into low orbit. It's good, it's cheap and you can get mags easily. wolfz

I haven`t shot it yet (Doh,stupid rain!) but I field stripped it,lightly polished the feed ramp (it was pretty smooth already but it`s a habit with me) and generally checked it over inside. Believe it or not there are almost no machine marks at all inside,very nice. I also oiled the trigger mechanism and dry fired it a bunch,the DA is smoothing out some already. I plan to shot mostly hot stuff out of it so I`m getting a Wolff recoil spring(20 or 22lb.?) and maybe an EGW hardened slide stop pin right away (what the heck for $20...:) ). Then I have to save up for a Galco Miami Classic. ;) As soon as I get it to the range I`ll let you guys know how it worked for me. Marcus

For what it is worth, I have been very happy with my Witness 10MM. I have mostly shot Blazer ammo through it, so I have no authority on how well it will handle a steady diet of full power loads. I did look at the Glock, but passed because it didn't "feel" right.

I'm hoping Glock makes a single-stack in 10mm.
(While I'm wishing, I would like a 5 or 6" barrel.)

If this is not forthcoming, I'll probably eventually get a 10mm Witness. Double-stack Glock .45's and 10's are too fat for my hand.

I think you will like the witness a lot. My 10mm witness has "suffered" or digested a steady diet of heavy reloads with no real problems. I figured I have 40's for weak loads 10mm for power. Just don't try and put EAA's adjustable sight on it because the recoil with tear it apart in about 1000 rnds.

Great gun, just wish the finish was as nice as the cz's.

I couldn`t wait until "range day" tomorrow to try it out so I stopped on my way home from work and put a box of 180gr. Starfire "wuss loads" (the local gunshop only had those and 180gr. lead American Eagle) through it. :) It was only 20rds. but it was better than nothing. The first mag. went into about 4.5" at 25yds. offhand, the second about 2.5" at 15yds. Both groups were slightly to the left(and inch or so) so a little sight drifting will be in order. FWIW I wasn`t trying real hard for groups just getting the feel for it. I`ll go for some groups tomorrow. Recoil was REALLY light,like 9mm ball light! The grip and beavertail really spread out what little recoil there was too. I can`t wait to try some 180gr. Corbons at 1300fps.! :D Oh,as for Evolution Gun Works I first dealt with them getting an Optima mount for a relative. Later I called them again to see about a custom Optima mount for a Taurus pump rifle. They were really friendly and took the job right away. They made him a custom mount for $60 installed it and the sight for free and had it done in a little over a week. That seemed like pretty good service for a top shelf shop like that. Plus they carry a line of Witness parts, have experience working on them and they`re 1/2hr. away from where I live. :D Marcus

Put 2 boxes of American Eagle 180gr. lead through the Witness today. Recoil was mild,befitting the slightly if any hotter than .40 loads. Functioning was 100%. The DA pull continues to improve although it has a ways to go until it`s as good as my CZ-75. The DA/SA transition is also not as smooth but then the CZ has the most seemless transition of any gun I`ve ever shot bar none. Shooting it side by side with my buddy`s USP40C the Witness DA has more stacking and is slightly heavier, the SA is a bit smoother and lighter than the USP though. DA/SA transition is about the same. Accuracy wise we were hampered all afternoon by a strong gusting crosswind and really bright sun (forgot the shades and hat). Let`s just say the Witness shot no worse than my CZ75 which I know is exceptionally accurate under any decent circumstances. Actual groups today hovered around 3"-4" at 15yds. with everything from my bull barreled Buckmark to my buddy`s 686. Hopefully next outing I`ll have some full tilt boogie ammo and a decently calm day. :) Marcus

You can get some good deals on 10mm ammo at

http://www.ammoman.com

... without the "hidden" shipping charges of some other sites. Turn around time is really quick. They have Federal American Eagle, Speer Blazers and Pro Load 10mm ammunition.

C.B.

Back