New Winchester lever action?

imperative

A buddy told me today that Winchester will release a new lever action .410!! Is this true? I always see their 10ga lever used in movies, and so this gives me hope that bigger bore levers will be on their way! :)

There was a thread here about this a little while ago,and I believe these are on the market.

A bit of research in the archives will give you plenty of opinions on this...

It's interesting, but...

It's a .410 bore. I, personally, don't have much use for such a thing, but maybe it's just me. Now, if they made a lever 12-ga, that could use the same barrels and magazine extensions as their 1300 shotguns....then I'd be drooling! :)

The sad thing is, these are chambered for the 2 1/2" 410 shells (the receiver isn't long enough for a 3" to work through); it might be a fun gun to play with, but not as useful as a 3".

I would have to disagree on the usability of the 2 1/2 inch .410. If you need the 3" shells, you should be using a 28 gauge. I have found that I regularly shoot with 2 1/2 inch shells and do just as well as I do with the 3" stuff. I hunt, shoot skeet, and shoot sporting clays with my .410 pump. While I can use 3" shells in it, I never do. My reloader is set up for 2 1/2 inch, and that is what I use. The .410 is made to deliver 1/2 oz of shot. I see no benefit in stretching that. I feel the same way about 20 gauge, by the way. Grab the 12 if you need more than 7/8 - 1 oz in the 20.

How common are 2 1/2" factory .410's? I'll admit I haven't really looked that diligently but it seems like all I ever see are 3" shells.

Virtually all of the available target shells are 2 1/2 inch. Winchester makes AA's in 2 1/2 inch only. Same for Federal Gold Medal. Remington makes some cheap field loads in 2 1/2 inch and their target loads are 2 1/2. They also make excellent 3" field loads. If you are intent on shooting 3" field loads, the Remingtons are a good choice. The Walmarts and K-marts in my area have both 2 1/2 and 3" shells in the field loads, but I have to go to gun stores to get target loads. I actually mail-ordered the last case from a company I found on the web.

Back