New/used Smith 28: how did I do?

new guy

Inactive
Happy holidays, folks. I managed to liberate just enough money this X-mas to make a down payment on a used S&W model 28.
Here are the details: 28-2, S/N 240xxx. The revolver has slight bluing wear at the muzzle and a few small scratches on one cylinder flute. There is minimal wear on all surfaces- no drag marks on the cylinder, no wear on ejector rod, barrel dirty but rifling plenty sharp. Finish is in excellent shape, no endshake, nice and even cylinder rotation. Sweet D/A pull.
A few possible concerns, though. The screw which holds the cylinder crane is slightly burred (although the sideplate looks plenty tight). Also, when I cocked the piece S/A and applied slight thumb pressure to the cylinder the bolt stop failed to lock up twice in 18 tries. No box, Pachmayrs, $300 even.
So, how did I do? How old is this gun? Is it a good period for Smiths? I have wanted one since I sold my old 28 ten years ago (hey- I was 19 and stupid at the time). How's about price? Fortunately, under the terms of the layaway agreement, I have thirty days to back out of the deal at no cost so let me know if any of the defects I mentioned are reason enough to pass on this gun. Thanks, and happy New Year.

What you're describing during cocking is not at all uncommon.

What would be of MUCH greater concern would be if the hammer pushes off when it is cocked and in single action.

I'm thinking (but don't have the book at work to confirm it) that your 28 is from the first year of production, around 1954. I'll check on that when I get home.

$300 sounds like a VERY reasonable price.

Mike,

If it is a 28-2 it is far from the first year of production. The 28-2 was the first of the three screw versions and that serial number would put the gun right at the timeframe (1961-62) to be one of the first of that revision IF it is an S prefix. An N prefix would be from 1975 to 1977. Either prefix would fit with a 28-2 as they were in production as that revision for a number of years. All the problems described are curable. The one screw being a bit worn probably indicates someone who removed the cylinder when cleaning (I do that myself as it makes things so much easier).

Thanks for the help so far, folks. It is definitely a 28-2. The serial number has the 'n' prefix. Should have said so before. So if the date of manuf. is indeed 1975-1977, how was the quality at the Springfield factory in those days?

Good Buy!

A S&W Model 28 is a high quality, rugged and reliable revolver. $300 is an excellent price. Happy Shooting!

SW,

Yep, you're right. I should have keyed in on the -2, which would have told me that the gun was actually marked with a model number, which would make it a post 1957 gun.

I guess I should pay less attention to TFL and more attention to work while I'm at work... :)

Deja Vu

When I read your post it was deja vu all over again. Today I spent my lunch hour at a local gun shop and found a 4" M28 with Pachmayer grips. It was tight - I'd be willing to bet it hasn't had more than two boxes fired through it. Some slight bluing wear - that's all. After the usual haggling, I walked out of the shop $295.00 (down from the original asking price of $340.00) lighter. I've owned 28's before, both in 4" and 6" but, for economic reasons, had to sell them. I had been looking for a heavy frame .357 and feel I got an excellent deal (an unusual feeling when I leave any gun shop!). Good shooting. :D

I just got a new "used" Bianchi holster for 4" N-frames, so I took my 28 4" out with me when I walked the dogs this evening.

I think my right shoulder is about 3" lower than my left. :)

Hey Folk's, Listen To This:

I bought a LNIB Smith & Wesson Model 28-2 with 6" tube back in Oct. of 1999 from Mt. Vernon Gun & Coin, in Mt. Vernon, IL. This gun was received in NRA 99%+ condition; guess what
I paid for this weapon, out the door?:):rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

PS: Oh! by the way, the price of the gun was only $270.00.
I think Mr. Karl Morgan may have at least one more; as I haven't checked their website, as of late? My serial number
is also an "N" prefix; N270XXX with no visible marks, scratch'es, rust, ding's, or anything else on it.:D Guess
I got a real good gun; at a really good price?:eek:

I CAN BEAT THAT, DAN!

At a gunshow in July 1999 I came across a guy selling his private collection of S&Ws.

The only one I was interested in was a straight Model 28 4", which he had bought new and had NEVER fired.

Except for a small scratch on the grip and another, barely noticable one on the muzzle, and the fact that the moron had thrown the box and papers out a few months before, the gun was absolutely and completely pristine.

My price out the door, with NO tax and NO state police fee?

$250.

Mike,

I paid more at the gun show for my version ($350) but that was for a M27-2 vs the M28. Pinned, recessed, and the checkered top strap.

Well, based on what I am hearing here, I found a keeper and will thus continue to pay off my new toy. I can hardly wait. Those n-frames just sit so well in my hands. Also, while I love the Smith M13 three-inch which is my current house, range and field gun, I just do not like firing full power magnums through it. After thirty or so rounds, the blast and recoil start to bother me. And I do not like the idea that the K-frame has a shorter lifespan when used with proper .357 defense loads (ie - hot 125s). Not that I'm about to get rid of it or anything. It will just be nice to have that Model 28 for those long range sessions. Thanks again and have a safe and happy New Year.

I bought a LNIB, 28-2 with a 4" barrel, pinned and recessed, in Sept. 98. Paid $350 for it and considered it a bargain. It's nice to have a big massive revolver that you know will last forever. I also have two M686+'s, a six inch and a 4" mountain gun. I much prefer the M28 over the other two. My only K frames are in .38 spcl and .22LR, because I just do not think the K frame is a proper platform for the .357 magnum (no flame just my preference). I had a chance a couple months back to get an M27 nickel plated 3-1/2" for $450. It was very good condition, but I just could justify it. I remember Elmer's saying that there just wasn't any reason to get a revolver with less than a 4" tube. Even so, if it had have been a blued version in that condition I think I might have gotten it. I think that the M28 is just as good, although cosmetically and older blued version would look real pretty in my safe, especially with a 5" barrel. That I could easily justify!

Back