New Trigger for Remington 700 VTR .308

Jhedges

I am looking to get a new trigger for my 700, and I am wondering if anyone has a particular one they like. I am going to order the Trigger and my gunsmith will install it but i know i want something in the 1.5-2 pound pull range. I have one of the first VTRs so it doenst have the X-Mark Pro trigger, and i am looking for an upgrade.
The only brand i know of is Timney, and thats all i have heard about.

What would be the best trigger to get for my 700? It is my Primary Hunting Rifle, and I target shoot it quite a bit also, so i would prefer something in the 1.5-2 pound range.

Hello Jhedges, have you tried to adjust the factory trigger? Does that older trigger have the set screw in the trigger blade? I haven't met the trigger yet that could not be made to work down to about 2Lbs. While I'm not a pro gunsmith, I have a fair skill level. They do suck though from the factory don't they?

Out of interest what will you use the rifle for?

-SS-

Attention mr. Hedges

Your question regarding recommendations / advice regarding the trigger mechanism on your rem model 700, should have been posted in the "smithy" section of this forum. Lots of folks hang out in that section who can assist you with your question, concerns, problems, or recommendations for improvements to the trigger. Thanks !!!

Guru1911

@ Sweet Shooter.

I use this for deer and range shooting. Occasionally ill take it coyote hunting but recentlybought an encore prohunter in .204 for yotes but i have tried adjusting the screw under the trigger, and it has a creep in it and it kinda ticks me off when i feel it creep and then another full squeeze and then it fires. I have shot Half MOA groups with this gun off of sand bags and led sleds but i just want a trigger with no creep and a nice clean pull.

I have Shilen triggers on a Remington 40X and a Remington 700 Varmint that I really like better than a Timney I have on another Remington Varmint.

I've installed and used quite a few Timney triggers and highly recommend them. I prefer the Timney's wider trigger to the thin-width trigger of the Shilen - personal preference. Check Timney's site as they have a 700 trigger for the 1.5 - 2 lb range.

Yes on the Timney dude, I installed one on my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm rem mag, and have it set at 2.5 lbs. It breaks like glass and there is no overtravel. It is a very nice trigger!!;)

Back