New toy - Remington 700 Sendero

ligonierbill

I'm not sure why I bought it, but it looked interesting. That's all it takes for us addicts, I guess. So, one more set of dies and another order of bullets. At least I can use the bullets in two rifles this time (5.56 NATO and 22-250, the new addition). I have had good experience with the 700, but none with the Sendero or a hot .22. I am open to good advice, comments, opinions. I am hearing that the 22-250 tends to do best with bullets near 55 grains. We'll give it a try this weekend. Can I really hit a quarter at 200 yards?

Those Sendaros are a well built rifle, you'll like it for sure, and that 22-250 is the fastest dude around man, it's fast!!:)

Google it and you'll find several for sale. Technically, I think it is the 700 VS: 26" heavy barrel, "spider" pattern composite stock, matte black metal. This one is a few years old; I will try the serial number for more info:

Per the Remington site, it looks like a VS. They state the only difference is that the Sendero is a long action (I know that has several meanings, but their words.) and the VS a short action. So a lot of folks are calling both a Sendero.

Last edited:
In some calibers, the identical configuration is called a VSSF == Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted. Looks the same but has a different name. I believe the Senderos are all heavy high velocity calibers.

And yes, I believe I just said pretty much what the last fellow did..... but with a minor difference. You won't find a .30-06 Sendero even though it is a long action.

- Ivan.

Whatever it is, I got to the range today, and it shoots as advertised. Shooting Winchester "Supreme" 55 grain, I got a group I could cover with a dime at 100. At 200, 1 1/4" in a bit of a breeze. Since it appears to deserve a good scope, I replaced the 2.5-10 Simmons that was on it with a new Nikon Monarch 5-20. We'll see how a new scope and some reloading work do to improve it. Coyotes beware.

I believe that it has a 1:14 twist.

I have Remington 700 SPS Varmint - a lot cheaper and not nearly as nice but it shoots great.

Of course, I put a Timney trigger in it so I could adjust it easily and then added a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock.

It has managed to average under 0.5 inches at 100 yards with 4 different loads of 40 grain, 50 grain and 52 grain ammo and and under 0.55 inches with 3 others in the 52 and 55 grain bullet weights.

Mine seems to like R-15 more than H380 and seems to really like 50 grain Sierra Blitz bullets # 1340 seated at a depth of 2.355 inches C.O.A.L. It has averaged 0.258 loaded for a relatively slow 3550 fps with Reloader 15. and 0.435 loaded for 3650 fps.

It also likes 52 grain Sierra Match Kings and Hornady #2249 bullets seated at 2.350 (Standard depth).

It also has shot Sierra # 1385 40 grain Varminter HP seated at 2.300 to a 0.469 average (that was a surprise but it worked).

I think you're really going to like your new rifle. With the right load and depth of seating, it is a joy to shoot.

Just don't get carried away and let the barrel get too hot.

Back