New toy and question

critter44

I just purchased a (used) Kinber Compact stainless .45 ACP. So far, I love it! You know how it is: found it at a "price I just couldn't pass up"! Now the quesiton: It has a full length guide rod, which I notice has a small crosswise hole through it part way down. Can the Kimber experts here give me the CORRECT way to dismount the slide, spring and barrel for cleaning? Is the hole part of the process? Is a 'tool' needed? Thanks. Shooting report later when I have a chance to wring it out.

Yes, the little hole is part of the take down process. Kimber supplies a tool that you insert in the hole with the slide locked back. With the tool in place, you then take it down like any other 1911, easing the slide forware and letting the tool hold the spring partially compressed. You remove the spring/guide rod assembly by lifting it off the barrel and pulling it backwards (towards the firing pin block). You then pull the barrel out the front of teh slide. The tool is just a piece of wire bent at 90 degrees. A paper clip works fine. Call Kimber and ask for an owners manual, they'll probably send you one for free. HTH. (great gun, BTW, I love mine)
M2

Thanks for the info. I tried the paper clip-works well!

Weather yesterday was AWFUL-mid 30's and raining. Went to the range anyway-just HAD to shoot her!!

Very pleased!!! Really accurate, good trigger pull, less muzzle flip than I anticipated, ate EVERYTHING I fed her (including hollow points), comfortable carry gun, and I even shot some GOOD rapid fire groups (for me). She may become my 'always' gun real soon.

Happy camper here!!!

Back