New to the wonderful world of rifles. Need advice!

Spirex288

Well I'm new to rifles. What I want is a good entry level tactical rifle that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I plan on doing just long range shooting. Call me weird but I can't shoot animals. :P What I keep running into on my searches is the Savage 110FP. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons about this rifle? Can bipods and other accessories be configured onto it? I'm talking entry level here BUT with good accuracy. Thanks in advance.

110 FP is really quite decent, but have you actually priced the tactical 700 BDL's from Remington? If you hit the gun shows and find a dealer selling bottem dollar, they're not that bad for a heavy-barrel .308 with parkerized finish, in a Butler Creek composite stock. You can find them for under $700, NIB. This is a lot, I know. But there's something to be said for not having to apologizing to anyone for the quality of your rifle. Probably 98% of all tac teams across this country use just that set-up (although some choose .223 or .243 for urban applications. A very few may choose .300 Win Mag, but it's a long-action, which is avoided for these applications.).

The Savage will run you what? A hair under $500? Then figure on a trigger job (NOT an option!), mounts, rings, sling (shouldn't be an option!), and bipod. This brings you up to about $1000, after all's said and done.

The difference between $1000 and $1200 doesn't seem that significant, now does it? The Remingtons are usually easier to shoot with in regard to ergonomics, trigger and action feel, etc, too.

Remember also the expense of finding the load your rifle likes, sighting in, and becoming accustomed to the rifle. This is about 200 rounds, off the bat. 10 boxes of Premium ammo is about $250! That will pay for a decent reloading setup, right there. Something to think about.

Thanks. I've thought about the Rem tactical 700. It's a bit expensive for me but I do understand what you are saying. It's kind of like the saying "You get what you pay for." I'm still looking for the right one. I shoot handguns often and I use reloads 9 time out of 10 when I hit the range. Like I stated in my first message I am new to rifles. Can rifles be used with rifle reloads?

Spirex228. Certainly. In fact the only time I fire factory ammo in one of my rifles is when I first buy it to get case expansion parameters. After that never does a factory round pollute its perfect barrel, to paraphrase W.D.M. Bell who never shot soft nosed bullets in his 7x57 Mauser.
In fact, half the fun is working up that super accurate load for your rifle.
Indulge yourself. Get the Remington. That's why they invented plastic, right?
Paul B.

Sure they can! I reload for all my rifles from .223 to .375 H&H, and have had good luck with them. Sometimes if you get an odd caliber rifle, it's your only option. I had a Sauer Drillings that needed to be loaded for, as the ammo hadn't been made since the 1950's, but it was no harder to load than any other.

You can get dies for your setup if you already load for pistols, but it sounds like you are buying your reloads? This is a different story, for me at least. I only shoot reloads if I loaded them myself, that way if I have any trouble I know whose fault it is, no argument. I'm sure other people will have other opinions, but that's my $.02, anyway. Hope it helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Back