New to the Regiment

lewwallace

Found in a VA collector's estate. Post July 1868 early mfg'd revolver marked 'Webley Patents', double action in 442cf. Pre-RIC No1, 1st pattern, foliate engraved retailer top strap marked Jonh Rigby Dublin. The #112 a mystery as SN's were on left frame. Will remain so till I can figure how to safely get grips off to look for #nos there!

Attachments

• 20160326_102442-1(1).jpg
    20160326_102442-1(1).jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20160326_102132-1(1).jpg
    20160326_102132-1(1).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20160326_103245-1(2).jpg
    20160326_103245-1(2).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 64
"...safely get grips off..." Just a very WHAG, but try taking the lanyard ring out. The grip cap might come off and the grip panels might slide off the bottom.

From what I read, the RIC model has a solid frame. From what I could find, there a screw on the top of the back strap that comes off. Maybe some additional pictures of that area and the bottom.

TK

TK: yer right! But they'er stuck tight. A good thing since wood shrinkage is not. Gonna put it on a sunny window ledge and warm it up and try some judicious gentle tapping with a small rubber mallet. Film at 11:00! Thanx guys!

You will need a thin short blade screwdriver and a firm bench, plus possibly someone to hold the gun. On old guns that screw is sometimes rusted in because the wood grips got wet. Bear down as hard as you can to keep the screwdriver from jumping out of the slot, and put muscle or a wrench on it. If that doesn't work, and you have a drill press, let me know.

On those narrow slot screws, the conventional gunsmith screwdriver will almost always break if confronted by a rusted screw, so you might have to grind your own.

Jim

What James K said; and after it's good and warm from the sun, apply a drop of Kroil on the screw, taking care not to get it on the grips. Keep the screw head damp if you can, and let it sit for a couple of days. That stuff has done wonders for me over the years, but sometimes, ya gotta eyeball the drill press... James K can be your resource there, but I will attest that it can fix problems. Last resort, though, if you're trying to keep it in pure condition :cool:

Back