New to the "Old BP rounds"

Cris

Looking to purchase a receiver (probably a Rolling Block) to build a custom .45-90??? Any help pointing me in the right direction for a receiver will be greatly appreciated.
Cris

Cape Outfitters has them from time to time. Buy a copy of the Shotgun News and you should be able to find their add (actually I've seen the actions listed in their to a few times). If you go out and buy an original rolling block action in .43 Egyptian I'd be careful to check it over very carefully first. Check out the book Single Shot Rifles and Actions by Frank De Haas, you can order it through Brownells, it gives some very good information on gunsmithing techniques and picking the right rolling block. Their is also an article by De Haas in NRA's gunsmithing book which discusses the different sizes of rolling blocks and what their suitable for as far as calibers. Brownells doesn't, at least in the catalog I've got in front of me, offer the Rolling Block action.

If you use a Rolling Block action, make sure you get a No. 1 or No 1 1/2 action. All the other sizes are too small. There are several actions out there. Plus some companies are building replicas of older single shots,www.ballardrifles.com has some beautiful Ballards.Some very very nice Rolling Blocks can be seen at www.lonestarrifles.com. Don't forget the Sharps made up in Montana by Shiloh Sharps. These are expensive but exceptional looking and shooting firearms, all of them. As a matter of fact, the Remingtons and Ballards pretty much ruled long distance rifle shooting in the late 1800s and most here know the legendary Sharps as the buffalo rifle.

Cris,

There is also some issues with getting rounds. Seeing .45-90 is not currently carried by any ammo company that I know of you will have to roll your own. Not that big of a problem, mind you, but brass can be a problem.

E-mail me and I'll tell my about my nightmare making up .45-110 for my Sharps. I'll save you some time, Hair-pulling, and get you on tract with your brass.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Doesn't Navy Arms, and some other company sell complete rolling block rifles in 45-70. I understand Remington has brought them back out. It would be a simple matter to extend the chamber to accomdate the 45-90 cartridge. I think the round is still short enough to clear the hammer, unlike the 45 round that Nonte created with a 3 3/4 inch case. (I forget what it was called, but he used it in Africa.) No other alterations to the rifle would be necessary.
Paul B.

you might as well go to 45-120 that way you will be able to shoot anything 45-70 and above in your rifle.we have reamers in stock and can configure your rifle to 45-120.

Back