New to the forum and have a few questions

Nolagun

Inactive
I currently have three handguns, a .22, 9mm and .380. The guns I have are heavy, bulky and too big. I would like to get two small, lightweight guns to carry on my person. One for me and one for my wife.
I've been looking at Rugers and S & W but was curious as to what you guys think.
I like the .380's for myself and the .22 for my wife.
I would appreciate some recommendations on which manufacturer/ model would be best. I plan to either carry my gun in my pocket or a small holster and my wife in her purse.

I listed two manufacturers but I'm not set on those brands if there is something better.
Budget for both is about $600-$800.

Also there are a few gun shops in my area but they have a gun show coming in February and March that I would like to attend. Do you guys feel it is ok to buy from a vendor at a gun show or better to buy from a gun shop or cabelas?

This will probably get moved over to one of the handgun areas (in the future, make sure you're posting in the right place for the best chance at good responses).

I'm guessing you're referring to the Ruger LCP in .380 (and maybe the S&W Bodyguard .380). Those are good guns; many people have them. The Ruger seems to be preferred by many but I don't read much negative stuff about the Smith either.

Gun shows can be decent places to buy- most of the tables are actually run by dealers (and despite what the news media says, if you buy from a FFL at a gun show, then yes, you will be filling out a 4473 and doing the background check- the same laws apply in gun shows that apply everywhere else). The large amount of sellers in a small area can create some pressure to keep prices reasonable. It's also possible that the prices will not be any better than you find at a local shop with the added hassle of large crowds and paying admission.

Do make sure you know what the gun should be going for at shops if you decide to go to the gun show. That will keep you from paying more than you should just because you're there.

Ruger and S&W have great reputations for customer service, so you're not going to be at a disadvantage if you buy from a dealer at a gun show than if you buy from a local shop. Either way you'd be dealing with the maker if you have a problem and both of those makers are top notch in taking care of their customers.

the heavier the gun, the less the felt recoil. the lighter the gun, the more the felt recoil.

i've carried a colt commander, a PX4 in 40 cal, and a HK VP9.

there is no such thing as a pistol that weighs nothing.

don't cheap out on a good belt and a good holster. and practice.

Welcome to TFL. :D
First of all, what 22, 9MM, and 380 do you currently have? That may help some in determining what you are familiar with.
Secondly, how big is "too big"? You might be surprised how well something you think is too big can be comfortably carried concealed. Especially when you mentioned having a 380.
Third, how much experience do you and your wife have with each?
There are many really small "mouse guns" in 380 that are of good quality, and reliable. Prices range from under $300 to over $600.
There are also many in 9MM, 40 S&W, and even 45acp that are not much larger, and In a similar price range.
I, like many will question the choice of a 22 for your wife. Yes, it can stop an attacker, but there are better, more reliable options. Where quality rimfire ammo like CCI is better, but by the very nature of how rimfire ammo is designed, and manufactured it is more likely than centerfire to malfunction.
There are also many in 9MM, 40 S&W, and even 45acp that are not much larger.

A S&W snubbie is the perfect pocket gun for me. I carry the model 442.

As far as pocket carry goes, I would strongly recommend a good holster, esp one that covers the trigger. Carrying a gun loose in your pocket is asking for an accidental discharge.

Since I don't carry a purse I'm not an expert, but I would think that having a gun floating loose in a purse would pose a similar threat of AD.

The .22 is a Colt that my dad had for many years. The 9mm is a Ruger and it is quite old. The .380 is an off brand that I bought 20 years ago. I have no new handguns.
As for experience I've been to a range a few times and in process of taking a concealed weapons class and getting a permit. My wife is just learning how to use a gun so her experience is limited at this time.
I'm not completely sold on a .380 or .22. Just want something small and fairly light.

I plan to either carry my gun in my pocket or a small holster and my wife in her purse.
One very important point I originally overlooked!
Carry in a holster in your pocket. And nothing else in the same pocket.
There are very good pocket holsters sold that do an excellent job of protecting the trigger, helping conceal the gun, keeping pocket lint out of the works, and are easy to draw the gun from without the holster and allocating out.
We can get into brands, and suggestions after you choose your firearm.
I suggest you keep reading, and learn about the different types of actions. Striker fired, double action only (DAO), double action/single action (DA/SA), and single action hammer fired semi-autos. DAO, and DA/SA revolvers as well.
Don't count out some of the small snub nosed revolvers for CCW. Especially for an easy to operate gun for your wife's purse.

Say WHAT!???

Bob Wright

I know. Probably not the best comment. I just want easy access if I need to pull my gun. I realize carrying in my pocket or loose in a purse is not the best method.
With the responses, once I purchase I'll try and find a holster that fits my and my wife's needs.

First off your comments about a .380 and 9mm being heavy show me that you do not have much experience at all. With the proper holster and you and your wifes dressing to CCW you easily be accustomed to the weight.

My suggestion is for you to both learn with what you have and get profecient with them first before you decide to get guns that are more comfortable.

As for age what is old? For you it might be Beretta model 92 some of us have underwear older then that.....

When your wife gets to the point that she wants a gun that is hers go to a place and rent or at least have her try guns out in her hand as it has to fit her......otherwise it is kinda like you going bra shopping.

I know. Probably not the best comment. I just want easy access if I need to pull my gun. I realize carrying in my pocket or loose in a purse is not the best method.

Nah, I think he meant it sounded like you planned to carry your wife in her purse. It would make for a good sneak attack. :p

I pocket carry daily (Sig P938). It works fine; I just like a decent holster that covers the trigger guard, releases the gun easily, and won't come out of my pocket with the gun.

Welcome to TFL Nolagun!

How do you get your wife in her purse?:rolleyes:

Seriously, pocket & purse carry without a proper holster for it is a bad idea, and seriously dangerous, with some guns. Especially the purse.

I assume you are focusing on personal defense, if you wife can manage something bigger than a .22 it would be a better choice. However, a .22 she can shoot is better than something bigger that she can't, and much better than none at all.

Also, remember that smaller, lighter guns kick more, in the same calibers. That may make a difference, especially with novice shooters.

Do you guys feel it is ok to buy from a vendor at a gun show or better to buy from a gun shop or cabelas?

There are two kinds of "vendors" at gun shows, those who are FFL Dealers (same as a gunshop), most are actually gun shops simply doing business at the show instead of at the shop. And private sales, of people's own guns.

If you know how to check out a used gun, you can do well buying from private sellers. If you don't, you can get taken. IF you buy from a shop (FFL dealer) you have someone to go back to if you have a complaint. New has a warranty. USED is ALWAYS "as is".

I'm not much help with pocket guns, not my strong suit. My personal pocket guns are a Colt .38 Spl Agent (alloy frame detective special) and a Mauser HSc in .32ACP. The Mauser is by today's standards, a large brick, being both "too large" and "too heavy" for its caliber. I got it for its historical interest (WWII gun), not its current practicality, but I can, and have sometimes carried it.

Hope this helps.

LoL, it sounds like you intend to carry your wife in her purse. :-)

For less experienced shooters I always recommend a revolver. I have been shooting regularly for 35 years and prefer them myself.

My preferred carry piece is a 38 caliber snub-nosed (2" barrel) revolver without a hammer spur. If I am going to carry it I don't want it to get snagged on my clothing. I always use a pocket holster so the trigger won't get tugged by fabric.

My wife and daughter use 32 H&R magnum revolvers. The recoil is fairly mild and it is an effective self defense round. They practiced with 22's first, then got comfortable shooting super mild 32 S&W long out of the magnum revolvers before they started shooting the H&R magnum rounds.

Welcome to TFL, Nolagun!

Nolagun said:
I currently have three handguns, a .22, 9mm and .380. The guns I have are heavy, bulky and too big.
As someone noted earlier, a little more information would be helpful. Just how large are they? There's quite a range of sizes and weights in all of those calibers. Are they steel or polymer? Do you have a preference as to steel or polymer?

Before you get off to buying a new gun, do you have a decent belt and holster now? If you're trying to carry a Ruger p95 on a dress belt, you're going to run into some difficulty. I'm a big supporter of proper belts for carry. A good, stiff belt can support the weight of a full-sized steel gun. A dress belt will sag. If your belt sags, you'll spend the whole day hitchin' up your pants and everyone will now that you're carrying. Sort of defeats the purpose of carrying concealed, if you ask me.

And I'm going to throw my support in behind Cheapshooter's comment:
Cheapshooter said:
Carry in a holster in your pocket. And nothing else in the same pocket.
The last thing you want is for a car key to get wedged into the trigger guard with a loaded gun in your front pocket . . . .

Nolagun said:
. . . .I've been looking at Rugers and S & W but was curious as to what you guys think.
I like the .380's for myself and the .22 for my wife.
I would appreciate some recommendations on which manufacturer/ model would be best. I plan to either carry my gun in my pocket or a small holster and my wife in her purse.
Both Ruger and S&W are solid manufacturers. There are lots of folks with pretty strong feelings about both of them, but IMHO, both companies make a product what will suffice for the overwhelming majority of their customers.

"Which model is best for cc?" is one of our favorite topics around here, and my stock answer is: it depends. It depends on how you plan to carry, what your usual wardrobe is, what your normal activities are like, etc.

Do you have a preference for semi-auto or revolver?
Nolagun said:
I listed two manufacturers but I'm not set on those brands if there is something better.
Budget for both is about $600-$800.
Please do not forget that you will need holsters, possibly belts, ammunition and (hopefully) some training and instruction. Forgive me, but from the sounds of your post, you may have owned guns for some time, but it doesn't sound like you've really been "into guns," perhaps until now.

At that budget, for two guns, are you willing to look at used guns? Do you know what to look for?

I know that I'm peppering you with questions, but I do so in the hopes of helping us help you.

Nolagun said:
Also there are a few gun shops in my area but they have a gun show coming in February and March that I would like to attend. Do you guys feel it is ok to buy from a vendor at a gun show or better to buy from a gun shop or cabelas?
44AMP nailed it on the gun show vs. FFL issue. I would add the following, though. The firearm that you choose to carry is a very particular and personal decision. Gun shows, even if you don't purchase there, are a good opportunity to look at many different models, see how they feel in your hand, and compare prices across vendors.

Nah, I think he meant it sounded like you planned to carry your wife in her purse. It would make for a good sneak attack. :p

I pocket carry daily (Sig P938). It works fine; I just like a decent holster that covers the trigger guard, releases the gun easily, and won't come out of my pocket with the gun.

Crap. Just caught that. Whoa. Takes a minute. It's pretty funny now that I got it. Time for a beer..

I just want easy access if I need to pull my gun.

The easiest access may not be loose in a holster in a purse or holstered in your pants pocket. I have watched my wife dig through her purse to many times to believe she could access a firearm quickly (unless she had one of the purses, made specifically for concealed carry). Pocket carry leaves you wearing a coat/jacket or sitting on the firearm or with the firearm hard to get out when seated. Sit down in your car and try to get something out of your pocket quickly. If you need to draw a firearm, you may need to do this very quickly.

In my opinion, the small .380 and 38 Special snub nose platforms are not beginner firearms. While they are easier to conceal, you are trading off for decreased accuracy, recoil control and capacity. I prefer 9mm single stack poly pistols for concealed carry; examples Kahr P9 (great trigger/accurate), M&P Shield (good trigger/accurate/I don’t like a safety), Springfield XD-s (?).

I’m reminded of being at a concealed carry class a couple of months ago where a female brought out a new S&W 642 Airweight (recommended to her by the local gun store “expert”). I watch her shoot five rounds through that revolver and could easily deduct that she didn’t like the vicious recoil. She said as much afterwards. I seriously doubt she will ever practice enough to become proficient with that revolver. Just in case someone thinks I’m taking a cheap shot at females, I’ll confess I find shooting my Airweight unpleasant also.

Ideally, if you can’t find friends who have a variety of handguns they would let you shoot, you folks should go to a range which rents firearms and try out several different makes and models.

Thanks for all the great information.
My experience is with shotguns mainly. I have owned handguns for 30 years but not an avid shooter. I have been to a range maybe a handful of times but it's been 3 years since I last went.

With the upswing in violence across the US, I feel it is time to get involved in personal defense. Living in South Louisiana, my wife and I visit the French Quarter often and there is a lot of crime in the area. I've never experienced any problems but there is always that first time.

With that said, my wife and I will both take the required classes to obtain a concealed weapons permit and hit the gun range for practice.

First up, the guns. The ones I have are old. The Colt is currently in a safe and not in use. The Colt is probably in excess of 40-50 years old. It's not a practical gun for me. The 9mm is too bulky for what my needs are. I suppose with a proper holster it would be fine but I want something that is concealed and hidden and I dont think the 9mm will do that even with a proper holster. With that said, I have been looking at a gun with a smaller footprint.

In the wintertime, the 9mm would probably work do to wearing a jacket. But in the summertime, I often wear shorts so I would need a pocket holster or something that would completely conceal my gun. I'm clueless as to holsters, etc so I am leaning on the advice from this forum.

I'm not really interested in being accurate such as hitting a bulls eye on a target. I just need something that will protect my wife and I when we are in the quarter. She normally does not carry a purse when we are in the quarter so she will not be armed.

From a gun stand point, I'm not opposed to a revolver so I will look into those as well. Maybe a 32 would benefit my wife instead of a .22.

I've looked at both 9mm and .380's. The weight difference is almost double in some instances. The S & W Bodyguard .380 weighs in at 12 oz and the Ruger LCP comes in at 9.5 oz. In contrast, the S & W SDVE weighs 22.7 oz and the Ruger LC9 comes in at 17.2 oz.

I am new to the handgun scene and I am working my way through all the info on this forum. It will be at least 2-3 months before I buy anything so it will give me time to research both guns and holsters.

As for buying previously owned guns, I would not know what to look for so I would probably stay away from used and just buy new.

There is an Academy near my house. I just need to maybe get there to handle a few of the guns and see which feels best. Haven't shot a revolver in years so that would be new to me.

My wife has only fired a hand gun one time so she is even more inexperienced than I am. She would definitely need a gun that has low recoil. For her, I will probably hold off getting her a gun until she puts in some time at the range. My future son in law has a 32 that I can borrow for her to shot.

Holsters are something I really need to look into as I am not sure what would be best.

Back