New to SxS shotguns: any quirks to watch for?

jmstr

Just picked up a late '40s LC Smith Field grade 12g SxS for a price I am happy with.

I have a S&W 1012 [2007 Turkish production] and a 870SuperMag.

I have to admit I am least familiar with Shotguns. I am most familiar with handguns. I have lever/pump/semi/bolt rifles also.

So, are there any quirks to watch out for in shooting a SxS shotgun? Anything to be extra careful of?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest a certain consideration for what you have,which is a fine old shotgun from the 40's.
First,have the chamber length checked.Why? Some of the older guns were chambered in 2 9/16 length.And remember that the older shells had a roll crimp over an overshot card wad.
The point:When the crimp unfolds,you want all of the hull in the cylindrical part of the chamber.You do not want the case mouth intruding into the forcing cone.Excessive pressure will result.

If you should have the chamber lengthened to 2 3/4,you might consider having it done with a long forcing cone.
Of course,there would be a debate about ANY alteration.There is merit to both sides of that argument.Its not my shotgun.Just please understand that if you are going to shoot it,the chamber length and ammunition length must be appropriate.And,no,I would not suggest even thinking about 3 in chambers.

There are lighter upland guns,and heavier waterfowl guns.Likely you have proof marks to show what it is proofed for.
Please do not push for heavy loads.Think moderate.Likely 1 1/4 oz field /game loads are fine.Extreme vel 1 3/8 oz + high performance loads..I would stay away from.
Please no Flipping/slamming open and shut.Used both hands.Open and close it with controlled motion,not inertia.No slamming.

The barrels and chokes were made for lead shot.While someone may tell you XXX brand of steel is OK,....Not in my double!!!.
Particularly vulnerable to steel shot,the original forcing cone,ahead of the chamber,and the barrels near the muzzle just behind the chokes.The harder shot is less compressable,and can tent to bulge the thin barrel walls outward.That,in itself,is bad.Worse,it has a tendency to break the solder joint where the barrels attach to the ribs.Then it is time to be very sad.
As far as I know,your options are lead and bismuth.

Don't dry snap it,and don't leave the hammers cocked.Get some good snap caps and use them.

Lookover the Galazan web page.They will have some.

There is a wondeful book on classic American Doubles.
Macyntyre or Mc Murrayor ???.I think the title is "Best Guns"

You may have better luck shooting if you consider the forend an appendage to hold the barrels on.You may shoot better extending your hand out to the tubes..
With that,I thinkI will pass you off to the next contributor!!

Last edited:
SXS

Nothing points like a SXS.
Pointing is a function of how the shotgun fits you. If it "fits" you properly, when you mount the gun, it will point where you are looking. You will be looking at the target...not at the bead/sight.
i enjoy SXSs more than any other guns that I own.
Pete

If the butt stock is not cracked behind the sidelocks, consider having it glass bedded. A Smith has very little load bearing wood in this area. Elsies are greatly admired by some, and by the '40s at least some of the (in my opinion) abominable stock dimensions on most shotguns had begun to change. Enjoy it in good health.

You'll want to join here:

http://members.boardhost.com/lcsmith/

and here:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Lots of good advice above about the chamber length and ammo selections

Before I fired round one, it would be thoroughly inspected by a COMPETENT double gunsmith (not some Glock parts changer). There are still some good ones left and those two forums should be able to provide with the naes of several.

Older guns have different stock dimensions than the guns of today, typically with shorter LOP and much different DAC and DAH.

There should be ZERO play in the barrels when closed and held up to a light ZERO light visible through the breech. If there is any of that the gun is unsafe to fire until fixed. Many of these older guns were run hard and put away wet so to speak, so pull the stock, check for rust, old dried gunk, etc.

Again, personally, I wouldn't be opening anything up as far as the chamber goes unless the smith gives an OK. There are several places selling shorter ammo and you can always reload them as well. Even then, I'd keep the payload and pressure a little lower than what was suggested - more along the lines of a max at 1-1/8 @ 1200 fps and about 8000 psi - unless the smith says OK.
Not that a Elsie isn't a good gun, but if you do not have a clear idea of its usage along these last 75 years, I'd take it easy.

Wasn't 2 3/4" standardized in the early 1940's? If so, then the chamber should be fine if your shotgun is indeed from the late 1940's.

If it has Damascus barrels like many old shotguns, it is unsafe to fire. Also, do NOT shoot steel shot in it.

This is supposed to be a late 40's LC Smith. AFAIK, Smith was well past making Damascus barrels by then. If the gun is in good shape, there is no reason it can't be shot with modern 2 3/4" ammo. I wouldn't go throwing magnums through it - but then again, that gun was made to shine with quail loads.

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the insights.

I started with the LC Smith link and spent a LOT of time reading and comparing.

My shotgun has Armor Steel barrels, so the Damascus concerns are right out.

The barrels and gun is listed, through the LC Smith website, as being designed for a 1 1/8oz 3 dram or less load in 12 gauge.

The chambers are supposed to have been true 2 3/4" 12 gauge for a few decades before my 'elsie' was made. I WILL have the chambers verified.

A 'rough and ready' test that I did at the LGS [with the approval and assistance of the employee] was to detach the barrels from the receiver, walk to the other side of the store with the barrels only, drop a couple of 3" new 12 gauge rounds in, and verify they fit properly. The 3" rounds dropped in without hesitation and fit snug.

No: I KNOW that doesn't mean I have 3" chambers. Saami specs list 3" rounds as between 2.65" and 2.76" long, unfired, due to differences in crimp shape/design. A 2 5/8" chamber would be 2.625" long, and the 3" shell should have had to be 'nudged' into the chamber.

I will test it more thoroughly later, but that is my preliminary 'observation'. Oh, and the fact it was stamped 2 3/4" :D

There is a very tight lock up, with the lock lever pointed to the right of straight back. I've heard people call it pointed at '5 oclock', and they have shown pictures. However, I haven't witnessed 5 oclock being truly indicated in those pictures. I've seen a lever that would line up at about the 27 minute mark on the watch. It is still in the 'firm engagement' category, and not worn out.

There is no loose-ness in the action, and no daylight visible between barrel and receiver at the chamber area.

I haven't pulled the stock yet to evaluate the potential for cracks, but will do so, and have it glass bedded.

I have purchased some 1" and 1 1/8" shells that were a 2 3/4 Dram weight [or around 1150fps or slower], in lead for use at the range.

I will NOT shoot steel from it, but will check to see about hunting Hevi-Shot loads that are under 3 drams of power.

Oh, and the chambers now have my A-Zoom snap caps resting in them so that I can dry-fire safely and leave the gun stored uncocked.

Thanks again to all of you. I can't wait to really use it!

The biggest quirk you have to watch for with SxS shotguns is that now that you have one, you're going to want a lot more...

A few years ago I bought a Stevens 20 gauge from a member here, made in the 1950s, and in very nice condition. It quickly became my favorite clay fun gun.

I had been looking at purchasing a SxS 28 gauge for clay sports, but just hadn't made the jump when the Stevens presented itself.

Then, a month or so ago, I found my Great Grandfather's 12 gauge Ithaca hammer gun in a closet at my Mom's. It needs some restoration, but it has 2 3/4" chambers and is in generally decent condition with fluid steel barrels.

I'm going to send it off after the turn of the year to have it worked on.

I would LOVE to have a 16 gauge SxS, but I recognize that I'm getting into weird and scary places...

SxS

Nothing that I can think off, I have heard from others sometimes both barrels will fire and it has to do with an adjustment inside the gun. I shoot sporting clays with a CZ Sharptail 12g SxS and love it. Nice gun for the price and the reps at CZ are very customer friendly. I shoot the Suprema rounds from Walmart. Inexpensive and good for clays.

Back