New to shotguns...looking at a few for HD

Corona

Friends...looking at a shotgun, mostly for HD use. I don't think I would use it for hunting, although that might be a possibility in the future.

Right now I'm looking at two and would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

First, is a well used Savage 69RH. It's a State of Arizona police shotgun, 12 ga, pump action, looks like a short barrel. The shop is asking $179. And they have a number of them. Seems like the pump is very smooth. Painted wood stocks. I doubt it's been shot much.

Second, is a new Maverick 88 at the local sporting goods store for $179. Very basic 12 ga, somewhat longer barrel. There are excellent reviews on this one. It is synthetic stock.

Just curious as to your thoughts on both of these shotguns. Many thanks.

Maybe the police models were built tougher, but my brother had a Savage pump, and it has an action bar on only one side. He took the gun apart once and during reassembly, the bar bent. He got it mostly straitened, but after that, it always rubbed whenever he'd work the action.

I'd guess this doesn't happen often, but I'd feel more confident in a gun with action bars on each side of the receiver.

As for the Maverick, I know they sell models with short barrels for about the same price as longer barreled guns if that's what you want.

If you are you sure that a shotgun is your first choice for home defense, I would suggest you look into training classes. You could check with your local gun shop and find out who is giving classes. You could start with a NRA gun safety class, some sort of general shotgun class, classes on skeet and/or trapshooting, and then look around for some classes on tactical shotgun shooting. Hold off on buying your gun for a long as possible. Ask the instructors what shotguns they are using as a teaching aid. Try to borrow, or rent as many different shotguns as possible.

IMO, I believe a good skeet or field gun, will make a good home defense gun. When you start shooting into the low 20s, you can start thinking about using your shotgun for home defense, but not before then.

Even after you have found the right shotgun and you are using it for home defense, you still must take it out to the range on a regular basis and shoot. This regular, ongoing practice/training will help you to build confidence in your weapon and your home defense skills.

Remember a good quality, well cared for shotgun, will last a life time. Also remember how much your life is worth to you.

When you start shooting into the low 20s, you can start thinking about using your shotgun for home defense, but not before then.
While various type of sport shooting provide familiarity with a gun, I really don't see any necessity in developing strong wingshooting skills prior to using a gun for defensive purposes.

Pick a gun you like, do whatever practice you need to get familiar with it, and take classes as needed. If your home defense plan is to hole up in a safe room and cover one door, you probably don't need a lot of room-clearing training.

Quote:
When you start shooting into the low 20s, you can start thinking about using your shotgun for home defense, but not before then.
While various type of sport shooting provide familiarity with a gun, I really don't see any necessity in developing strong wingshooting skills prior to using a gun for defensive purposes.

Pick a gun you like, do whatever practice you need to get familiar with it, and take classes as needed. If your home defense plan is to hole up in a safe room and cover one door, you probably don't need a lot of room-clearing training.

As a professional trainer and someone that has used a SG in a number of environments across the globe..i ABSOLUTELY agree. Shooting any of the Clay sports has NO bearing on the SD use of a Shotgun.

By all means take a Defensive Shotgun class. You may have no need for the bldg clearing, but a shotgun is a different animal to keep fed and ammo selection and management is critical.
Any good course will show you how to pattern your gun/ammo combo. That is CRITICAL info to have before you put it into service.

As you mention dual use...SD and hunting, i would pick the Maverick or a used 870. Lots of extra barrel options out there for cheap

The Savage is a solid gun with parts still available. It is much like the Model 67. See which one feels best. Disassembling the Savage is a little tricky, but once you learn how to do it, it's no problem. The Maverick is a good choice as well.

Hoo Boy,
It's always plumb amazing to hear someone admit to having no experience with shotguns choosing one for home defense.
Hopefully anyone who does will heed the advice given here to get the kind of training necessary.
As for choosing a new Mossberg over an old Springfield/Savage, I'd gotta' go with the new one.
I once had a Savage and it was just fine, but they are getting mighty old, now.

Last edited:
Gentlemen...thank you for your suggestions. All points well made. I said I was new to shotguns; I should have added that I am not new to firearms. I asked for your thoughts about two specific guns and I appreciate your recommendations about training, although unsolicited.

Thanks Scout for your perspective on the two shotguns I mentioned. And the previous poster's suggestion to look for a used Remington. Good information.

At this point, I am strongly leaning to the Mossberg Maverick. I gets very good reviews, I view it as an entry level shotgun with easy parts availability and one which may serve more than one role. Adequately.

Any other suggestions about shotguns I might consider would be appreciated.

Last edited:
For clarification, not a nag:
The reason for so many recommendations for training with the shotgun for home defense is that they are very different than the usual choices of handgun or carbine.
Just about everything about them is unique and why there are shotgun specific training classes for just them.
Something folks aren't always aware of.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. Sometimes I view posting here as thinking out loud, mulling several possibilities.

I got the Mav 88. Looked at both the 18.5 inch barrel and the 28 inch with a modified choke. Bought the 28. Ordered the 18.5 barrel. Amazing. With both barrels, I'm in it for less than I expected or anticipated.

Going out this weekend for an intro to the clay sports. I fear I'm gonna like this a lot. :)

As a professional trainer and someone that has used a SG in a number of environments across the globe..i ABSOLUTELY agree. Shooting any of the Clay sports has NO bearing on the SD use of a Shotgun.

By all means take a Defensive Shotgun class. You may have no need for the bldg clearing, but a shotgun is a different animal to keep fed and ammo selection and management is critical.
Any good course will show you how to pattern your gun/ammo combo. That is CRITICAL info to have before you put it into service.

As you mention dual use...SD and hunting, i would pick the Maverick or a used 870. Lots of extra barrel options out there for cheap
Sharkbite is online now Report Post

I recommend shooting skeet and trap with your pump shotgun simply because it's an easy way to become familiar with your home defense shotgun. How many times can you pattern your shotgun before you just don't?

I have never seen it, but I've heard stories about people dieing with the safety still on, or that shotgun is empty and there are five or six loaded rounds laying on the ground next to the gun. To minimize " short stroking" I would suggest a few rounds of "Double Skeet", and a few rounds of "Trap Doubles". If you live in an area where you have access to steel plates, pepper poppers, and bowling pins, by all means shoot them often.

I recommend specialized training ( tactical), and competition. Out here, where I live, you just can't go into town and shoot the homeless, living under the bridge. Local LEO, can and will get real p*ssy, if you do. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. Sometimes I view posting here as thinking out loud, mulling several possibilities.

I got the Mav 88. Looked at both the 18.5 inch barrel and the 28 inch with a modified choke. Bought the 28. Ordered the 18.5 barrel. Amazing. With both barrels, I'm in it for less than I expected or anticipated.

Going out this weekend for an intro to the clay sports. I fear I'm gonna like this a lot.

I have the Mossberg field/self defense combo. Sounds almost identical. The longer barrel allows as much or as little practice as you want, with an identical platform when you have the shorter barrel.

If you can shoot clays but also look for potential local competitions or training classes. Its a very different experience.

I would consider one of these:

Used 870 Riot gun 20" barrel with tube extension $249.

105393656.jpg

http://summitgunbroker.com/870-mag.html

Back