New to Revolvers and the board...sort of

Cesar

Inactive
It's summer here in GA and it's HOT. I usually carry a WC CQB 1911 .45 in a IWB Braveheart Kytac (great holster btw) but I've since started wearing shorts that don't have belt loops. I'm thinking of either carrying my S&W J frame .38 or the HKP7 M8 in a shoulder holster. If I go with the HK I'll buy a Alessi shoulder holster and with the J frame a Ken Null SMZ. Here are my questions:

1. Not having ever worn such a rig, I wanted to know opinions on them regarding comfort level.

2. Is there anything I can do about the lack of sights short of buying a CTC laser, like tritium inserts, etc.?

3. How about the trigger on the J-frame too? Can I make it lighter and if so how light do you recommend?

4. What else do you guys recommend for making my J-frame suitable for carry?

5. And finally, for those that carry the j-frame, does the lack of capacity, slow reload, bad sights, heavy trigger, and relatively weak round bother you? (no flame on revolvers, just want honest info. Understand that training can make up for this).

Thanks for listening.

Hi, Cesar, welcome aboard!

Shoulder holsters... I wear one frequently in the winter when I can put it under a coat or jacket. I've worn one for quite a few hours without appreciable fatigue, with either an S&W Model 19 2.5" or a HK P7M13.

Summer use I stick with either a pocket holster or an IWB holster and an untucked shirt.

Lack of sights? Practice, practice, practice!

I have a Model 042 J-frame, and I've gotten into the habit of "reference" sighting along the trough formed by the cylinder's intersection with the top strap. I've gottn pretty good doing it like that.

A "light" trigger is a function of two things -- decreased spring power and a smooth action that goesn't catch/grate.

How light you're going to be able to go on the trigger pull and still maintain a reliable gun is, quite frankly, different from gun to gun.

Don't really have an answer for the "more suitable to carry" question.

As for your last question, the answer, for me at least, is no.

Welcome Cesar.

J frame (mod 36 in my case) a bit difficult to learn to shoot well but with practice they shoot just fine. I like to leave the hammer spring stock and lighten the trigger return spring a tad....that plus polish the internals results in a fine single or double action gun.

Started carryin a J frame in the 60s.

.38 spec does a good job if the shooter does their part.

Sam

Cesar,

Unless you are of dark complexion, a should rig up against a white torso will show through most summer clothing materials (cotton, rayon, silk). If wearing a coat on those 98 degree, 99% humidity days does not bother you, then a shoulder rig is not a problem. Consider a smaller firearm (Keltec 32 or S&W Airlite) with a simple clip attachment for the belt. It will fit just inside the pants and no one will ever notice.

Robert

Thanks for the info! I may have to invest in a clip draw instead of the shoulder rig. Save myself the money too. Just worried that the sweat will rust my blue finish.

Still, anyone know where I can get a smith to put at least a tritium vial in the front sight? Thanks.

Back