new to predator hunting

Buzzard

I have some questions, I am new to predator hunting, mainly coyote . I live in Kingman AZ and would like to get started, what will I need and what about calls. Any info would be a great help.
Thanks

Use the "Search" feature in this forum for "Art Eatman + coyotes" and you'll find a bunch of my babbling on the subject. :)

Art

well, you need a gun for starters, .204,.223,.243 work good if u dont want to put a big hole. for calls you will want to get a long range howler, rabbit distress call, and maybe some more calls like fawn in distress and kitten in distress. Electronic calls are a good idea. camo is essential and make sure u cover up you scent or have the wind in your face.

Anyone in tucson ever go varmint/predator huntin? I've been really wanting to go but I don't know anyone who goes and want to start it off right with someone who has a better idea about what they're doin other than going plinkin in the desert and goin 'wow, a coyote! I think i'll shoot it.' And i know this sounds wrong but i would prefer some kind of hunting where we could just leave the bunny/coyote carcass for other predators...or is that generally frowned upon? (i don't want to eat them or wear them...yet i still want to shoot them...is that wrong?) Also, do i HAVE to have a 5 round mag if all i've got is an m4 and an ak (both of which i assume would be suffient for blowing up bunnies...kinda like ak a little more just for the overkill)??

Last edited:
Baiting predators isn't uncommon. I've saved up table scraps in the freezer for that purpose. Adding a freshly-kkilled rabbit helps.

And for bobcats or cougars, some bulk catnip scattered around seems to be helpful.

But as I said above, there are many threads here about calling and about coyote behavior.

Art

Back