New to pistols and fallen in love with comp. shooting!!

lamagra

Inactive
Hey all,

What are some good low-mid (non high end) guns that are good to get in on this?
What cal?
How much does it cost per practice session?
What are the different competition styles?

Thanks,
Randy

ps. if you cant tell i am knew to the gun world.

Most shooters I see (except me) use the inexpensive Glocks. Calibers are usually 9mm. Others step up to more expensive handgun brands in 9mm and .45 calibers. You could also use a .38 revolver. Some events allow .22's. Check this site for one type of competition shooting: http://www.uspsa.com/

+1 to the glocks

The competition world is divided into 2 major camps:

The 1911 weilding "Jedi Knights" - these are very expensive guns. That can have every customized accessory known to man and gun. But when properly working - are arguably the best trigger's in the world.

Meanwhile the Glock is regarded as the common "Blaster" in the shooting world. They run pretty much in stock mode, are cleaned about once a year but like the energizer bunny, keep going, and going and going!

If you want to keep your costs down:

Go Glock 34 the best practical to tactical Glock out there.

If you need CC and be competitive in shooting go Glock 19.

If you want a balanced mix of the two - go with the G17.

Good luck in your choice.

Hmmm, my Glock 21 cost more than my Springield 1911, I shoot em both, I never could figure out why anyone would put down what anyone else chooses to shoot.
But for the question.. find out what competitions are in your area, and look what gun would be suitable, and also fits you.
You might have ICORE which is revolver, or IDPA or USPSA where there is a class for about anything you want to shoot thats over .38. Then there is SASS which is single action and cowboy shooting, or Steel Challenge where there is a class for everything even .22RF. Also, NRA bullseye, PPC, etc.
IDPA has more restrictive rules for the gun and equipment, if its legal in IDPA it will be legal in USPSA, but not vice versa.
What do you have now? It would be best to shoot what you got, and think about what/if you want.

Ken,

Not putting down 1911's at all. In fact I am switching from Glock to 1911. Caught the 1911 fever this year with a Para P16.40. And even picked up an open gun. Love the 1911s.

The main issue is - for a 1911 to be competitive, you need to put up some $$. Magazines are a lot more expensive than the Glock. And most 1911s that are in competition are highly modified. I have been shooting IPSC for 2 years now, and whenever I speak to 1911 owners - they have new triggers, tungsten rods, mag wells etc.

Average investment is well over 1K.

When I speak to Glock owners, half of them go stock. The other half invest less than $300 in accessories to get their Glocks competition ready. Plus those Glock mags are so cheap.

For a new shooter who wants to keep costs down, the Glock is probably the better choice. If money is no object - go 1911. But be prepared to tinker.

I have seen:

Glocks (most popular pistol sold today- no surprise to see them)
1911 and clones
XD's
Sigs
Revolvers
Taurus
even a Makarov
Pretty much any decent modern Firearm can cut it. I have found that the IDPA is less of an equipment race than IPSC, but they are both alot of fun.

The same as for defense, pick the one that you shoot well. Worry about accuracy first, the speed will come later on its own.

Also, there is Cowboy shooting. There are so many ways to get into pistols, and an almost unlimited selection of firearms to go with them.

I shoot USPSA becuase I love the competion and the people are absolutely great. I've made a lot of friends in just two years.

I shoot an XD-9 Tactical in Production which is a very affordable gun and accessories (5 mags total, belt, mag holders and holster). I also shoot a Springfield Black Stainless in Limited 10 and Single Stack. Again, the investment is relatively modest although .45ACP ammo is about twice what 9mm costs.

No matter what competitive organization, Division or gun you choose, you'll have a great time. So quit reading this and get started!;)

Back