New to me SAA Navy Arms

EIGHTYDUECE

I found this almost new condition .45 LC at my local shop. It is Navy Arms made in 2002 according to the date code stamp on the frame (BS). I cannot find a Uberti stamp anywhere on it, so I am not sure of the make. I was under the impression that all Navy Arms revolvers were Uberti. It is Italian. Did Pietta make revolvers for Navy Arms as well?

(EDIT-I just found the Uberti Stamp in the front of the frame by the cylinder pin, it's very small. I forgot to add that I paid $400 for the revolver.)

Thanks for any insight if you have any.

20180117_173919a.jpg

20180117_174015a.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy

Nice piece.

It looks to me that it has the two position cylinder pin.

Am I correct?

I had a couple of Ubertis with that pin, I found it very annoying.

You might be surprised how many guys at a CAS match would pull their pistols at the firing line, and click away, because they forgot to put the pin to the firing position.

I replaced mine with pins from Belt Mountain. Or one can just grind off the rear of the pin so when it is all the way it, the gun will fire.

But that's just me.

Howdy

Nice piece.

It looks to me that it has the two position cylinder pin.

Am I correct?

I had a couple of Ubertis with that pin, I found it very annoying.

You might be surprised how many guys at a CAS match would pull their pistols at the firing line, and click away, because they forgot to put the pin to the firing position.

I replaced mine with pins from Belt Mountain. Or one can just grind off the rear of the pin so when it is all the way it, the gun will fire.

But that's just me.

Yes it does have the two position pin. It took me a few minutes to figure that out. My only other experience with these SAA's were Ruger Vaqueros. It also has the hammer mounted hammer block safety, not the floating pin new style Cattleman 2, but the older style under the firing pin.

I have seen a Cimarron single action with the Swiss safety and no hammer block.
The gun is made by Pietta, looked very good.

The two position cylinder pin is only there to get the revolver imported into the US. It is useless as a safety because it requires two hands to disengage it. One hand to push in the spring loaded catch and the other to pull the pin out to the firing position. Not very convenient if needed in a hurry. I suggest you grind down the rear of the pin so it cannot be used that way. Or replace it with a pin made by Belt Mountain.

I also suggest you ignore the hammer mounted safety block. I had an Uberti with that device in it a bunch of years ago, and I would never trust it as a safety. The parts are very thin in cross section, and I suspect something might break if the gun were to fall onto the hammer spur with a live round under the chamber.

I suggest you only carry it with five rounds, just like an original Colt, with an empty chamber under the hammer. Learn the loading sequence of load one, skip one, load four more, bring the hammer all the way back to full cock, then gently lower the hammer on an empty chamber. Practice it until it becomes second nature.

Thanks for the advice Driftwood. I plan on using the five round with empty chamber under hammer rule. I took her out to the range this morning and all shot well. I do not believe it has ever been shot. the face of the cylinder and the area around the forcing cone were too perfect, without any burn discoloration. I now want another Uberti in 4.75" barrel (El Patron maybe). I also see a New Vaquero stainless in my future.

Many years ago I purchased a pair of Navy Arms ( uberti) AccuSport specials, 32-20 WCF, with a beautiful charcoal blue. Used the pistols for cowboy shooting along with my Colt 44-40 SAA’s, The revolvers were extrmely accurate...I replaced the center pins with some Colt’s I had.

Back