New to Me S&W 34-1 Any idea the year? What do you think about it?

Joe.G

Hi, I Got this S&W 34-1 today, I picked it up as a practice gun for my kids. The grips that came with definitely are not meant for this gun, I did pick up a set of Sile Grips. Any links to the correct grips for the gun?

Any Idea on the year it was produced? Serial # M465**

General idea on condition and value?

Any other facts about these guns?

Thank you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372097391830

Attachments

• 34-1.jpg
    34-1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 34-2.jpg
    34-2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 34-3.jpg
    34-3.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 89
I am not sure if I am posting the pictures correctly.

Attachments

• 34-9.jpg
    34-9.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 34-8.jpg
    34-8.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 34-7.jpg
    34-7.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 41
Here is my 1966 34-1 Kit gun with the original grips serial numbered to the revolver.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Kit-Gun-02.jpg
    Kit-Gun-02.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 793
Your gun was made pre 1983 or so, as evidenced by the pinned barrel.

I don't have my books right now, but my gut tells me that your Kit Gun was made in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

What has me perplexed, though, is the weird markings on the right side of the grip frame. It looks like milling machine chatter, but I've never seen anything quite like it.

Price is very location dependent. In my neck of the woods I'd say value, with the grips it's wearing now, is $500 or so. $550+ with proper grips.

Marks on right side of grip frame

Are definitely milling cutter chatter. A clear sign the cutter is getting dull.

On the S&W Forum another Member pointed out that the screws were in the wrong location, I have moved them and I think they are correct now.

There was one flat and then 2 round, the round were not threaded all the way to the tip, both appeared the same.

I was hoping that was going to be the issues with the Grip, They are comfortable but they are not tight on the back strap where they meet there is a gap, I can squeeze them together but they don't stay.

Attachments

• 34-11.jpg
    34-11.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 34-12.jpg
    34-12.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 34-13.jpg
    34-13.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 12
Does the grip screw bottom out or get tight. I've had a similar issue with same type of grips and using a shorter screw pulled them tight.

On the S&W Forum another Member pointed out that the screws were in the wrong location, I have moved them and I think they are correct now.

There was one flat and then 2 round, the round were not threaded all the way to the tip, both appeared the same.

I was hoping that was going to be the issues with the Grip, They are comfortable but they are not tight on the back strap where they meet there is a gap, I can squeeze them together but they don't stay.

I didn’t notice that detail from your pics but it’s pretty obvious now when I look.

Looks like you got the flat one in the right spot now.

The one with the tit goes all the way to the forward end to catch the yoke and hold the cylinder in place.

So I did swap them and the cylinder was tight when opening I did pull both round heads out and they appear the same, I just tightened the yoke one and then backed it off a hair and everything seems to feel correct now.

Back