New (to me) rifle: Marlin XL7

BoneDigger

Well I went to Academy Sports today to look at their rifle offerings and saw the Marlin XL7. It was a nice feeling gun with a "descent" stock. The bolt felt pretty good and it seems to have a good reoil pad. They had one in 25.06 and I have been wanting to try that caliber for a while, so, for $285 what the heck! It comes with a scope rail in the package, so that saved me a few dollars too. I compared it to the Remington 700 SPS they had in stock and the Marlin actually seemed smoother. Same goes for the Mossbergs they had in stock.

As soon as I get this gun scoped and out to the range I'll give a complete report. This will be a deer rifle for shots out to 250 yards or so. If it'll hold even a descent group I'll be pretty happy for the price. Hopefully I can get somewhat close to MOA.

Todd

Just bought my stepson one today in 7mm-08 for Colorado deer and elk. After playing with it a bit it seems like the quality is close to (but not quite equal to) my Remington 700 ADL. For $299 I think it's a great deal though!

If only someone made a decent wood laminate stock for it...

--Duck911

I have been hearing great things about them as well. The only thing I don't care for is the short barrels. Lately, I won't buy a rifle unless the barrel is at least 24", and the longer the better. I don't know why, but I feel (maybe incorrectly) that long barrels are better. The last 3 rifles I have bought, or built, have 26" barrels (25-06, .243, 22-250).

Kawabuggy, you were partially correct in assuming that the longer barrels are "better" - at least in 2 out of your last 3 purchases. The .25-06 and the 22-250 are both examples of an "overbored" cartridge. They really do need a longer barrel to reach maximum velocity. In fact, shooting a 25-06 in a short barrel is downright unpleasant due to the excessive muzzle blast from the unburned powder.

The .243, while also slightly overbored (remember, it is a .308 necked down to .243) is still a pretty efficient cartridge. It works quite well in a 22" barrel and gets close to peak in a 24" barrel.

Back