new to me Model 70 (pre-64)

bkl5000

Inactive
Just wanted to share a few pictures of my newest toy; a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 30-06 with a Bosh and Lomb BALvar scope.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 46
It appears to be a transition model (based on the safety) ....made between 1946-1949...an excellent period for Model 70s. Probably the collector value left when the holes were drilled in the right side of the receiver for the B&L mount. I've never seen a mount like that one with the right side screw holes. Enjoy your new rifle...they are classics.

Not sure, but I don't believe that is a factory stock either. Looks to be influenced by the CA Weatherby school of design.

That being said I rarely base my purchases on absolute originality or "collector's value". If it is a good shooter, metal and mechanics in good shape and the seller and I are happy with the price it's "all good".

I've restocked or redesigned/refinished stocks that I wasn't happy with on barreled actions that were great buys and come up with some of my favorite guns.

So how does it work on the range???

Mike J

What mount is that?

I'm not normally a fan (just my taste) of "traditional" wood stocks...but that's a beaut...

Umm,
you realize, of course, that if you miss from here on out, it's never going to be the fault of the rifle, right?
:-)
Not a bad problem to have, actually! Nice rifle!

Back