New to me Dillon 650

dyl

Hey all,

In a couple weeks I should have possession of a "new to me" Dillon 650, bought by original owner in 1993. Anything i should watch out for, or most helpful updates / upgrades? I don't know exactly what has been done to it so far so I don't have any details to give you all.

And also: Do you Dillon owners prefer the Inline Fabrication strong mount or the Dillon Brand strong mount?

First i would stay all Dillon all but dies i do not like Dillion dies . . I have a 650 I bought some time in the 80,s and a 650 I bought two years ago can not see a difference . Both run very well keep it clean read the manual and start slow . It will produce more then you will shoot .

https://imgur.com/a/u0K3TQv

Okay here are the pictures of the press as it was in the seller’s house (it was donated to raise funds for a range so he didn’t know a ton about it)

I know so far that the powder measures have an older spring setup where they wrap around the base of the measure. (Learned about that in a video) but it doesn’t seem like a pressing issue that needs to be updated.

The new Dillonn Powder measure has a better system to reset the measure .
It is better but in all the years the old Powder measure works very well .

Congrats on the 650.

For mounts, I've owned both brands but prefer the Dillon mount over an Inline mount based on height and Dillon's bullet tray that attaches to the Dillon mount. If you want a quick release plate, then Inline is your only choice. The Inline mount is heavier and people claim it will flex due to the thicker steel. But I've never seen my Dillon mounts flex. The only mount I've had flex was a Inline mount. But that was after the four plate bolts loosened up. Both are fine. Pick whichever one you like.

update: used 650 came in

So the press came in and I emailed Dillon. So far the only thing they thought it needed (or at least mentioned) was changing the steel carrier (that's what it's called on a Lee Loadmaster anyways) over to the aluminum. I'm not certain but I think it's not so much for the change in materials but for the change in shape / design. Something about damaging the primer arm for partial ram strokes.

The rest I'll have to see. For now I think I'll mount it on a 2x6 and then I'll have a hands-on idea of where / how I want to mount it, and what space will be available to the left and right. It's hard resisting the urge to buy every Inline Fabrication doo-dad there is. But I think I'm over the worst of the cravings.

Oh and here's something that surprised me: the Dillon 650 XL has an aluminum frame. I guess I'm used to hearing "cast iron" from the Lee side of things. And aluminum may not necessarily be weaker so I'm fine with it!

Been running two 650’s for the last 20+ years and other than KMS light systems on both their “stock”. I’ve gone back and forth about getting the spend primer drop tube, where it drops into a bigger bucket but it’s not an issue to drop it when it’s full. Last year I ran 3k worth of 115gr 9mm in little under 3 hrs and never had an issue with anything…they just run. I would pick up is a low powder sensor, spare parts kit, strong mount and bullet tray if you didn’t get them with the package. I have low/high powder alarm (blue thing on the toolheads) and I never use it…with the press being auto-index, it’s impossible to get a double charge. You can get a low powder drop but if you pay attention to what your doing that’s really hard to do as well, in the 20+ years I’ve been running mine I’ve never had a powder problem. They are GREAT presses, why Dillon dropped them for that sorry ass 750 I’ll never know…yes some claim the primer system is the main reason. I’ve NEVER…NEVER had a problem with mine and I would bet the farm they’ve seen close to a million rounds between them…used to load for 6 people…hence the number, yes I’ve broken damn near every part on them except the frame…snapped one of the lower ram arms year before last…seems it was a bad casting.

Looking at the photos of the press and tool heads, nice setup. I'd order a mount and bullet tray. I prefer Dillon's mount and bullet tray. I like the way it works compared to other setups I've had over the years. Your press looks like it has an Inline handle installed. I prefer Dillon's aluminum handle which feels easier on the hand and stays cooler than Inline's plastic handle. The tool heads already have a Powder Check System, which I like. If loading both large and small primer brass, getting an extra priming system with speeds up primer changes.

You might want to get the new bell cranks for the powder drops, bullet tray and there is a tool kit that mounts to the back of the press.

Make sure to check it all over clean and grease.

I use Lucas red an tacky grease and STP on the ram

I prefer the inlien fabrication mount. It is thicker, I have 5 of those mounts for different presses including single stage and you cant notice any flex. I use Dillon's bullet tray but anything will work.

I like dillon dies for pistols on my 650. I do not use dillon dies for any rifle reloading. I also own a 550 that I like as well.

I like the 650. I own two, one from 1995 and the second from 2015. I did get a free platform from Dillon to update the 1995 press. It is still sitting on the shelf. I own several powder measures from the old style to the new style. I never updated the older ones.

It's a good press. I find it easy to adjust or figure out any problems with it.

You might want to send it to Dillon for an update and cleaning. I'm not sure what they are charging for this service. I don't have the height so none of mine are on mounts. I have just enough room for the case feeder.

The frame is solid, it you do break it they will replace it for free. I think a 10 pound sledge might crack it. Have fun there is enough after market stuff to have a lot of fun.

My primer System works fine but I do size and prime before I load all handgun stuff .
I really like the Dillon 650 and will never need anything again . Keep it clean keep it lubd and keep the shell plate snug .

Back