New (to me) Charles Daly Miroku O/U

lockedcj7

I've been wanting a decent O/U for as long as I can remember. I've handled all of the budget brands and I've never been impressed with the fit, finish or quality. I liked the Mossberg well enough to trade a Ruger standard for one but it didn't fit me very well and I couldn't hit much with it. I have owned two Ruger Red Labels but couldn't justify keeping them when I had other guns that filled the same niche.

I've finally given up on boat ownership and suddenly find myself with a little spare change. I recently read the story of the Miroku/Charles Daly shotguns and decided that they might represent good value. Mind you, I could afford an actual Superposed but I'm still a cheap SOB.

So I found one with 26" barrels choked skeet/skeet and my first impression is very good. The fit and finish is very good, it fits me and I can actually hit with it. I'll actually be using it for skeet so those are chokes I would want anyway.

What experiences have others had with the Miroku/Daly shotguns?

Miroku builds good guns - period. They have been making Brownings (and their own name of the same) for many decades and have it down to a science. Daly is a marketing name, like Browning.
If it fits you, get it. Although, an older Superposed from the 60s -made in Belgium - is a great gun. You will be VERY hard pressed to find better barrels on a gun in their price range.

Good guns. Your skeet gun may have a high comb, like a trap gun. The early Brownings had the same stock on trap and skeet. Had a trap & field gun. Traded up to same in Browning with screw in chokes.

Miroku makes solid guns.....I have about 15 of their Browning Citori line of guns .... XS Skeet models in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410.....a few XT Trap models .....a BT-100....and some of their standard field gun lightning models.....and more than one of them are well over 500,000 shells with no issues.

Enjoy.. !!

some time ago i bought a old school charles daly model 500 in ex used condition made by miroku in 12ga 2-3/4, two triggers,fixed chokes for 200.00 and i think i got a very good deal. the lock up is the same as my browning BSS 20ga sporter. i only have about 300 shells thru it and tho not a long test, i have had no problems with it. i could have sold it for way more than i paid for it. eastbank.

Go to Guns International and look at the Daly guns for sale. The B>C> Miroku guns hold value very well. That should be a good sign that they are well made.

Aside from that they are well made and finished well. You can't go wrong by buying it.

I hunted grouse and woodcock with one for many years. The gun handled well and was very nicely finished. Even the modest engraving was "real" and tastefully done. However, though the gun was kept clean and properly lubricated, the day came when the second barrel wouldn't fire every time and the local gunsmith could never get it to work. Sold it with full disclosure and much regret...:(

I bought two of them when I was stationed in Japan a 12 & 20 ga both are 26" barrels skeet and skeet Superior grade. IICRC I paid $168 each. I've run many thousands of rounds thru them only problem the 12 ga had a broken trigger spring once, I do the snap cap thing pull triggers for both barrels need to bump for the second barrel, remove fore end open remove snap caps, close reinstall fore end go to go.

I paid $600 for it so I think I did okay based on the Armslist ads and Guns International asking prices. I've only shot one box of shells so far but it comes to my shoulder like it's always been there and I hit 21/25.

I'm not sure how a shotgun is supposed to fit but I know what works for me. If I can see the top of the rib like I'm looking down at a carrier deck then I'll shoot high every time. When I mount this gun with my cheek on the comb, all I see is the bead.

Skeet & trap guns

I like to see the bird at all times. If the bird is covered by the muzzle and a gust of wind pushes it down, you may not see it in time. Lost bird.

I would like to put a decent recoil pad on it but can't find one that fits. It currently has an old slip-on. I bought a limbsaver for Citori but it does not fit. FWIW- it has a slightly curved butt plate.

There are many used and affordable classic American doubles out there.

It's a sad state of affairs when those guns had to be made in Japan by people who can't even own a slingshot much less a shotgun.

BUY AMERICAN.

Since you have the curved rear stock you're going to need to sand/cut it flat and shape a new pad to it. I did see one youtube video where a guy heated one up the bend it into the right shape and then ground it to fit.

Back