New to me Beretta 948

PSP

I recently purchased this very nice Beretta 948. It is in fine condition with only a couple of minor spots of wear. The alloy frame shows very little wear. I was pleased to see the four extra mags that were also available. Extra mags always make the range time happier.

What it didn't have is a manual, so I'm hoping a few of you have this pistol and can pass on your experience and wisedom. I've found the barrel is quite tight, especially when reinstalling. Is that normal? The topmost mag is slightly different, (yet Italian as well), can anyone identify it?

I've wanted a 71 for years but they are hard to find, so I'll settle on the slightly older and single action predecessor the Beretta 948. Here's the pistol. Any advice or tips appeciated.

BHanniversay11020.jpg

Last edited:
I've never owned that pistol, but I can tell you from my experience with other Berettas that a tight barrel is not unheard of. My first one was an SOB to assemble and get everything to fit, especially the barrel. I'm not saying they're all like that, I'm just relaying my personal experiences.

I have one of these that was given to me by my father. It is a great little gun and tough as nails....

It and an M1935 (.32acp that is almost the exact same design) were tucked away for over 40 years in a small lockbox. They were not fired, cleaned, or oiled that entire time. The 948 ended up with a little rust on the outside, but in pretty good condition inside. The M1935 came through in near-perfect condition. They both have all original 60 year old parts, and both work perfectly. Even the magazine springs, which were compressed that entire time, work perfectly.

I have no special knowledge about maintaining them. All I can say is that they can take a beating and keep working, so don't worry about it too much.

I believe the magazine on the left that is different is the factory original magazine. These came with one magazine only and my father only ever had that one factory original magazine. So I know for certain the magazine he gave me is the factory one, and the left-most one in your photo looks exactly like my dads in terms of the color of the bluing and how and where it has worn off. I have the gun packed away so I can't check in further detail at the moment, but next time I will get it out I will try to verify and report back on this thread.

I also like to have extra magazines to make the range more fun, as well as just because it feels wrong not to. So I ended up picking up two more from here:

http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/454/

They weren't cheap, but were totally worth it.

First mag on the left is an early factory specimen with a bent steel follower. The others are later production. Be advised that the mag springs are coil springs that are almost exactly 9mm in diameter.

I stumbled across a dozen or so stripped mag bodies and had to make my own followers. It was a deuce of a time trying to find a 9mm spring, as a 3/8" was just a hair too big. After that I had to find floorplates to complete them.

Consider yourself lucky that you have those extra mags, as they are VERY uncommon.

As far as the barrel mounting, I use a wood or plastic mallet to remove a tight one. Just remember that the frame is alloy and repeated disassembly is going to wear out that mortise faster than usual.

My Dad bought a 948 while in the Navy(Naples) with a 53 build date. I took it to the range last week. Sights are not the greatest, but once you figure out point of aim/point of impact you can get some nice groups. I fed it Federal and Remington .22s with no issues. I use Sentry Solutions "sentry cloth" which is dry lube that goes on wet.
It is a neat pistol.

The 948 in the photo above has a 1953 date as well. One of the many reasons I decided to buy it, as it's the year I was born. The gun has held up better than I have. :D

My Dad bought a 948 while in the Navy(Naples) with a 53 build date. I took it to the range last week. Sights are not the greatest, but once you figure out point of aim/point of impact you can get some nice groups. I fed it Federal and Remington .22s with no issues. I use Sentry Solutions "sentry cloth" which is dry lube that goes on wet.
It is a neat pistol.
I know I know very old thread but Gunner442 if you're still around, I also got mine from my dad that got it in Naples Italy while in the Navy back in the 50's.

Back