New to me Beretta 92 with Night Sights

Jack19

I just picked up a 1990 92FS with night sights that are, surprisingly, not dead, but dying.

I've never been a fan of night sights and plan to paint over them.

Is there any reason not to do this?

If they’re the same style I have on my handguns they’ll function just like white 3 dot sights in the day time or when dead. New tritium tubes can be installed fairly easy. Even if they’re very dim they can still function well in low light and help with faster sight acquisition.

Why would you paint over them?

Well, for one, more visible dots. Second, and maybe there's been more info, but last I knew neither Beretta or Trijicon were accepting slides back for re-lamping.

I've never been a fan of night sights and plan to paint over them. Is there any reason not to do this?
Well, yeah. If you've ever tried to hit anything at night or even dusk, with a black sighted handgun, you'd probably agree it's nearly impossible outside of a lucky shot, to get hits beyond 10 feet or so.

We live on a farm and periodically have to deal with feral dogs, skunks, possums, woodchucks and raccoons in the barn and around stock. And a lot of experience has shown us that the old police method of a flashlight held crossways under the shooting hand just doesn't work like it does in the movies. The tritium sights now available, and yeah, we do identify the target, are the answer short of bolting on an under-barrel light. Ninja's we're not, but the tritiums work well and are no detriment to precision in daylight at any range.

YMMv Rod

Yeah, I was taught the Harries Technique, among others, too; works fine for me. I did my gunfights in cities, not on the farm.

So the bigger question becomes, who will do replacements on 92 slides? Particularly the front?

If there's an "easy" source, tell me who's doing it. Apparently, no one wants the tritium. Otherwise, dim night sights can be made much more visible. Even painted on sights are more useful.

Last edited:
Back