New To Me .45

mk70ss

kZPKyeul.jpg

Just picked this AMT Backup .45 from my FFL. Traded another forum member a gun I never used for it.

I have one. Was reliable but really heavy. Recoil was pretty stout. And that hole on shot a small gun made it look like a cannon. I carried mine for quite a few years.

There are several posts on these "unique" fire arms. I've owned three examples. I really like the size, and weight, of the AMT. Years ago my LGS that I frequently patronized had a new one languishing on the shelf. I wanted it. The owner advised me AGAINST the purchase. He said they were no good and would jam and I would be disappointed. But he reluctantly sold it to me at a good price. Yes, I was disappointed. It jammed frequently with hard ball. The blast was worse than any I have had with a .45 acp. Sold it down the road. However; still intrigued with the AMT bought another example, cheap. This one was used and was a CHAMP, except for that blast. Shot hardball like a champ and some hollowpoints. Liked it a lot but it was a casualty of a "domestic discord". Bought another one, used, this year. It was dismal. Just like the first one; a jam-o-matic. Sold it fast and bought a Kahr CW45. Synopsis: if you get a good one GREAT hang on to it. If it's typical of AMTs let it go unless you can find that rare gunsmith that can "make it right". Will I but another one? Yes. Mk70ss, I see you are in Tennessee. I am in NE TN, want to sell it???? I just like the things! Oh, it's called a "back-up" because after the first shot you throw the gun at the target and BACK uo.

Here is a small 4" .45 i picked up years ago a Para CCO LDA, Para is not making it today i found it a good shooter never a jam i carry it from time to time.

Attachments

• Para CCO LDA 4 inch .45acp.jpg.jpg
    Para CCO LDA 4 inch .45acp.jpg.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 28
A shooting buddy has one chambered in .38 Super, which is a pretty weird chambering for a compact pistol, but if the action is long enough to accommodate a 1.25" cartridge, why not?
Probably not many people interested in using their touted "warm" loads in that particular gun.

AMT

Congrats!

I have a backup in .380 and it functions without issue. They were manufactured at several different locations and function appears to be location-based.

My 380 has more felt recoil than my Walther but the AMT is a great pocket piece.

Enjoy.

Back