New to me 1960s SxS JP Sauer model 60 deluxe

jmstr

Hello all,

Just paid for a 1960 J.P. Sauer & Sohn Model 60 Deluxe 12g SxS shotgun. It was made in West Germany. 28" Nitrosteel barrels, with fixed Half and Full-choke markings [2.75" 12g]. Beavertail forearm and single trigger.

All is in good shape and I am satisfied with the price.

My use will be primarily recreational range shooting. I may get into having someone toss clays, but right now it is hitting the barrel at 30 yards. Nothing sophisticated.

I can see myself some day playing around in either trap or skeet type events, but I doubt I'll ever do it enough to need a new o/u shotgun, or spend over $1200 on a shotgun for it. 3 times a year isn't worth the expense.

I like the older styling of a SxS, but I know it is no longer di rigeur for competition in our country. I also have a 1948 LC Smith, with 30" barrels, and a Cimarron 1878 Hammered coach gun [both SxS, naturally]. If I want more power, I have a Remington 870 express Super Magnum.

So, based on my stated purposes, and my other options and interests, is there anything I should really be aware of with the JP Sauer shotgun, other than impossibility to find parts?

No pics: sorry.

California requires I wait 10 days and 2 minutes [most LGS's use 11 days to make it less confusing] to pick it up, so nothing at this time.

Thanks in advance!

it sounds like a very nice shotgun and can be used for the clays games, use a good low brass shell with # 7.5-8 shot and have at it. i shot a 22-25 with a imp cyl choke tube in my trap shotgun just for the fun of it. eastbank.

Parts might still be available if need be; or a good double gunsmith should be able to make the part. Sauer makes good stuff. Nothing wrong with using a SxS for trap/skeet/sporting clays when the objective is grins and giggles...... Enjoy it!

Back