New to Makarov !

AC's & 45's

Do I run the risk of breaking something in my new Makarov by dry firing on a empty chamber. I realize most manufactures advise against it. I have heard that this design it firing pin breakage prone if dry fired. Where can snap caps be purchased for the 9x18? I have been everything but laughed at in three different shops today. Don't reckon they will get any more of my patronage.

This little pistol is a ball to shoot. Cheap too !

I've done it to mine many times, though I'm not sure that I should. The Mak is the only pistol I know of in which the extractor snaps over the rim upon feeding. So, it's safe for you to insert an empty case into the chamber and drop the slide. This is the same thing you should AVOID doing with every other modern pistol that I'm aware of!

Hello. I've dry-fired my Mak quite a lot in the several weeks I've owned it with no problems, but who can say? It probably is best to use a snap cap, but then again firing pins are very inexpensive on this gun. Still, I'll probably go to using snap caps in the future.

Best.

Go to...

http://www.makarov.com for bunches of info.

molonlabe1small.JPG

I've been dry-firing my Mak more than I've been firing it. So far, there are no problems. Of course, during the next range session the firing pin can break and put out my eye, but... uh, so far that hasn't happened. It's safe.

It has been suggested by someone over at Makarov.com that the best way to dry fire is to remove the firing pin. Easy to do, just push the safety lever up, past the safe position and remove, the firing pin will drop out if the muzzle is pointed up.

Here's one answer to your problem...

Try these guys...
http://www.a-zoom.com

They make a great product, machined aluminum rather than plastic, with a tough rubber insert for the firing pin to fall on. I really like them, and they make 'em for Maks as well as most other calibers. A bit pricey compared to plastic snappers, but worth it... & who needs busted firing pins, anyway?

Welcome to the world of Maks! As you said, they are a hoot to shoot, and an unbelievable bargain, too. Have fun!

From everything I have read at the Mak forum it is best not to dry fire the Mak.
From everything I have read at the Mak forum, it is perfectly alright to dry-fire the Mak. In fact, I myself have asked the question there and two people replied in the affirmative. Plus, according to the current thread on the subject there, it's okay.

I also heard many times on makarov.com forum that it's
O.K. to dry fire the Mak. But before I heard it, I did it
to my Mak thousands of times in 5 years. It hepled a lot
to learn how to shoot this thing, and also, smoothened the trigger. No caps or empty cases, of course. BTW, Mak seems not to care about this "problem" and delivers 100% reliable
performance every year.

Back