New to magnified scopes.

O4L

I've always used open sights or 1x red dot scopes but I'm thinking my old eyes might benefit from some magnification.

I've been thinking about getting a Leupold VX-1 2-7 powered scope for hog and deer hunting.

I would be using it on a Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 for now but would probably move it to an AR build at some point.

I'm not looking to be shooting at game past 300 yards.

So what does an old phart need to know about mounting and using a powered scope?

There's lots of opinions, and some very strong ones at that, but I'll toss my ideas out there.

First, I would go with Leupold or Burris mounts (base and rings). Don't go with those cheap see-through Amazon and WalMart specials. They may work... for a while, but they generally don't do much to keep your noggin down to a good cheek-weld position similar to what you used with the iron sights.

For mounting the base to the receiver- not much to do there but to do it. I recommend Blue Locktite here. I also like to rub a little Johnson's Paste Wax in the areas the base will cover up and the bottom side of the base for a little rust resistance.

I like to line the rings with masking tape before I set the scope in. Why? I don't know, but an old guy whom I consider a Master showed me that many years ago and I'm scared he'll come back from beyond and git me if I don't keep doing it.

Set the scope in lightly and adjust it to the proper eye-relief and then the proper straightness (getting the reticle straight with your shooting posture), then alternate back and forth getting the ring screws tight.

I don't know if that's the type of suggestions you're looking for, but if not, give us a yell back and we'll do what we can to walk you through it.

Oh, and get another scope for the other rifle. It gets to be a pain in the hiney to keep swapping a scope back and forth.

You should get the lowest mounts that will allow the scope objective to clear the barrel. It may also be good to add a lace-on cheek-piece to allow proper cheek-weld.

Don't over-tighten the ring screws, or you can damage the internals. Leupold scopes are tough, but it's possible to tighten the rings too much.

I'm going to assume here that you might have a Marlin 336 so you will need the 63b base. It's pretty short but does the job. Another option is the 63a which is longer and extends further forward. Scope length might be the reason to go short or long.

Then I use Leupold rings. Medium, Tall or see through should work.

I just mounted a scope on my dads Marlin 336 in 444 Marlin. It went pretty seamless.

Many people preach about getting the scope as low as you can and others have other ideas. I suggest you try one and if you don't like it try the other. My dad is a fan of see through rings probably because of Military rifles that needed them for clearance. I prefer them on brush or close up guns. But for long range I mount scopes as low as I can.

I also leave my variable power scopes (usually 3-9) set at 6 while hunting and then go from there if I need the magnification.

Last edited:
Here's an image I found on another sight of the weaver 63b, Leupold, and 63a.

TheGunRoom155.jpg

DO NOT use the dovetail windage adjustable mounts made by Leupold and Redfield. The Weaver rail type mounts pictured above are just fine, cost a lot less, are far easier to mount and are lighter. Weaver or Burris Zee rings would be a good choice. You want low rings unless you go with a front objective larger than 40mm. Sometimes low's are harder to find and medium would work, you don't want tall rings with a Marlin stock. You won't be able to see through the scope and keep your cheek on the stock. Weavers cost less, Burris looks nicer. A set of Talley Lightweights or the DNZ mounts would be a good choice as well, but cost more. They look a little nicer and if the cost is worth it to you they work well.

A 2-7X32 scope or 1-4X20 would be near ideal. I have a preference for the 1-4X on lever actions as well as AR's, but the 2-7X is a good choice too. A 1-4X on 1X is noticeably faster to use up close than a scope set on 2X. On 4X you have more magnification than you can use on a 30-30. The 2-7X is a little heavier and slower to pick up the target at close range. Having 7X on the top end gives a little more precision at longer ranges. But 4X is plenty for 300 yard shots on deer.

I'm thinking my old eyes might benefit from some magnification.

Not just the magnification. A decent scope works far better in poor light allowing you to see the target long after it is too dark without optics.

Your choice of scope is OK, but there are many options is the same magnification/price range. Sightron, Burris, Vortex are good brands within the 2-7x market.
I run 2-7X scopes on several long guns from .223 to 308 with satisfactory results. Even a 1-4x or 1.5-5x is plenty good for a 30/30-I use those on .223 carbines for coyote hunting out to 250-300 yards.

What you need to do is set the scope up with the correct eye relief and alignment. Since the Marlin's stock is designed for use with open sights, you may need to add a pad to the top to get your eye lined up. Once you have the scope set up, spend lots of time mounting the rifle to your shoulder to get used to seeing through the scope. You should be able to close your eyes, raise the rifle, opne your eyes, and see the crosshairs clearly w/o "head bobbing". If you don't do this and get used to the feel, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED when a shot opportunity arises and you fail because you can't see the cross hairs or find the target in the scope's field of view.

Mount base. Level the rifle in a rest of some sort, secured at level if possible. Attach bottom section of rings loosely
Set scope in rings and attach top part of rings but do not tighten.
Put the scope on its highest magnification and get behind rifle. Slide scope forward/backward till you get full sight picture. If you can't move the scope far enough in either direction due to the ocular or objectiv or center section of the scope hitting the rings, remove top caps and scope and reposition bottom section of rings to allow enough adjustment then repeat above steps.
Securely tighten the bottom section of rings to base.
Double check level on rifle, then level the scope to match (a small bubble level on the top turret cap).
Begin tightening the ring cap screws in an alternating pattern (much like the lug nuts on a vehicle wheel) paying attention that the ring caps have similar gaps on all sides between cap and bottom ring sections.
Tighten in that pattern to 30-40 in lbs or as recommended in scope owner manual, adjust magnification ring to ensure it still moves freely. If not, back off on how tight the rear cap screws are secured.

Go shoot and check to make sure the scope doesn't move forward in the rings from recoil. Then enjoy

Thanks everyone for all the help. Keep it coming. :)
I know it's going to take a lot of practice to get used to a scope. Everytime I've tried to use one I can't find my target without looking all over the place.

One thing I keep learning the hard way... if you're willing to put up with the added weight of a scope, you can always dial back a 4-12x down to 4x. You can't turn up a 1-4x to 9x when you want to. I keep trying to go as minimal as possible on the optics on some of my guns thinking it's enough, until I give myself and additional 3x to work with then I realize it's a little insufficient. Don't go putting a 6-24x50 on your gun if you don't need it, but if you can test a 1-4x as well as a 3-9x, 4-12x, I would recommend it. You might be pleasantly surprised how fast the larger scope is to get on target, or conversely, realize that the 1-4x isn't as fast as you'd expect it to be.

...and, if you can, try to stick to single-piece scope rings, so that attempting to get two separate mounts to line up without putting stress on the scope isn't an issue.

Last edited:
First, I would go with Leupold or Burris mounts (base and rings). Don't go with those cheap see-through Amazon and WalMart specials. They may work... for a while, but they generally don't do much to keep your noggin down to a good cheek-weld position similar to what you used with the iron sights.

I second this. While there are some gems on Amazon as well, most of the cheap stuff on there isn't even worth the few bucks they ask for. While they all come with a fancy sounding branding, most of the stuff gets produced in the same chinese factory and for a small fee they put whatever label you want on there. In addition, pretty much everyone can sell on Amazon, there are almost no requirements you have to fulfill.

Talking about a 30-30, you'll probably never need anything much over 2X. I have a very old 1-4X Redfield on my 308 and no problem at all. My 30-06 has my very old Redfield 2 3/4x worked great for years on a 308 I gave to my son. Needing more than 4X is a miss conception, you don't need it simply limit your shots to 300- yds!

By going with a 2-7X or 1-4X you will gain more eye relief on the lower power's of the scope, easier to get onto the target with. I set my 1-4X on 1X with my 30-06 and I ban see my barrel through the scope. You'll also find the the higher power you go the less field of view you'll get as the ranges get farther. I would say that sticking to the lower power's is, from what you've said, the way to go. Faster pickup of game through the scope anf much better field of view. I am not one to shoot long ranges, Only one deer killedin my life at over about 250 yds. That was at 330 yds and I did it just to say I have My 6.5x06 with a 3-9X Nikon set on 4X. One shot and out!

it is amazing that an older guy that has been shooting never used or looked thru a scope lol. that is like saying I never watched TV which TV set should I buy :D

The transition from open/red dot sights to a scope may not be perfectly seamless, but your scope selection can help a lot.

First of all, the higher the magnification, the smaller your field of view will become. For instance: A 6.5 - 20 power vortex scope will allow you to see an area 17 ft. in diameter at 6.5 power and 6 feet in diameter at 20 power at 100 yards. However, a nice Leupold VX-2 1x4 will allow you to see an area nearly 75ft wide at 1 power and 30 ft. wide at 4 power at 100 yards.

A man who is used to open sights should have no problem going out to 300 yards with a 4x scope if his skill/rifle are up to it. Visually, 4x at 400 yards is like open sights at 100 yards.

The leupold VX-2 1x4 sells from midway for $300. My favorite rings are Burris, I use burris signature XTR and regular signature rings on all my rifles including my .338 Lapua Magnum...so they will handle recoil.

If you want more magnification than that, the old trusty 3x9x40 is a great all around scope. You may find 3x a bit too confining at ranges less than 100 yards since you are used to open sights, but you get used to it. My method is that I shoot both eyes open and can shift between left and right eye as I track an animal. Or you can peer just over the scope until you are ready to shoot.

Hope this helps.

Back