New to long guns

DCB

Inactive
I am new to long guns. I have had much experience with handguns (from JDJ hand cannons on down)but very little rifle time. I have a new (in box) Browning A Bolt II 7mm Mag with BOSS and a B&L 3000 4x12 scope(in box). Just looking for some wisdom from some of you long gun people.
Thanks in advance!

dcb <><

------------------

Recoil, loads,etc... I guess I am looking for some encouragement . There is allot of info on most of these sites about hand guns but not much about rifles.
I know handguns and now I want to know long-guns.

Thanks (:^)

------------------
DCB <><

Be careful in playing with that rifle since it's equipped with the BOSS. Every single load is going to require a different "sweet spot" and you'll spend all day figuring out which works best for that particular load. If there is ever a rifle which requries a "rifle log", it's a BOSS equipped rifle.

A rifle log is a the record book for one particular rifle. You enter date, time, range, weather condition, wind, distance, target type, lighting, loads and because of your BOSS, your BOSS setting and scope settings. (For loads, you may want to start classifying them according to bullet type, powder weight, primer, etc.). After every shot, you make an entry into the log. The way I do it is to adapt a single sheet to account for up to 10 shots of the same type of load. There should also be a section to record your point of aim (POA) and point of impact (POI).

Everytime you make a change in your BOSS or your scope, make an entry into your rifle log book. This will give you the data to study and predict how your rifle will react given certain loads. It's very labor intensive but will yield invaluable data. It also helps you establish your base line to start from. With the data in the book, you can restore the rifle to its normal settings and adjust for a different load.

Does anybody know of a website where DCB can download a logsheet?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Well, the 7Maggie is one of the more efficient hunting guns around, given the ballistics and the varied bullets available. It's a good bit more than needed for the smaller deer, unless you're shooting at longer ranges. A lot of guys love it for long-range elk-hunting.

Recoil is noticeable, particularly in a light rifle, but nothing to get excited about.

I ran across a reloading book at a recent gunshow, "One Book/One Caliber". I bought the .30-'06 manual which lists "2,302 Proven & Tested Loads; 91 Various Bullet Designs, and 63 Different Powders". $10 or so. Check them out at http://www.loadbooks.com for more info or ordering.

While the BOSS-thing would indeed have a different sweet-spot for a different load--with different harmonics, I don't understand why barrel harmonics would vary due to factors other than the load. To me, it's another one of those solutions looking for a problem; but it does add some weight out at the end of the barrel, making a steady hold in the off-hand position a bit easier. But I'm old-fashioned about a lot of stuff.

Hope this helps...

Back