New to IDPA, which class should I start out in?

ChowYunFat

I'm going to compete in the IDPA. Which class do you guys think is the least competitive and better for a novice?

Note: I prefer the 1911 frame and Single Action guns. Is Springfield XD in ESP since it's a single action?

All I know from observing is it's a sport/game. Meaning it is ALL competitive. As stated, shoot the gun you feel the most comfortable. They will put you (your gun) in the proper class.

IDPA is intended to "sort of" simulate real-world scenarios (take that loosely).
It's not perfect for real-world training, but it's better than drawing on yourself looking in a mirror. :rolleyes:

You can use any pistol you want for the most part, but be aware that holsters must fall into some guidelines or they won't let you shoot.
Basically, your holster must be worn in such a way as to avoid sweeping other people while drawing, it must be a type typically worn for full concealment, it must be fully secure while wearing and drawing, and it must have a rigid opening to facilitate one-handed re-holstering.
They used to have an "approved" holster list, but there are so many holsters that they now just describe "features" that a holster must satisfy and you should be good to go.
I'd recommend a strong side 3:00 or 4:00 IWB like the VersaMaxII or the MaxConV because it is from holsters like that where you can usually make the fastest and most controlled draw.

In order to come away with some "real-world" basic training from the IDPA experience, you should usually shoot with the pistol you intend to carry the most.
Of course, you can enter more than one category and shoot your brains out (figuratively speaking, of course :eek: ).
The 1911 is in a class all by itself ("Custom Defensive" which is for 1911's only), and the XD45 would be in the "Enhanced Service Pistol" class.
Wade through this and knock yourself out: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf#search="idpa"

The best thing for you to do is to simply find a local chapter and show up a half hour before they start for the evening. I'm willing to bet that people will fall all over themselves trying to help a newbee get started and giving you all the info you need right there.

Carter

The 1911 is in a class all by itself ("Custom Defensive" which is for 1911's only), and the XD45 would be in the "Enhanced Service Pistol" class.

That's not true. Any .45 ACP caliber pistol legal for Stock Service Pistol may also compete in CDP. The XD is single action by IDPA rules so it may compete in CDP (or ESP) in the .45 ACP version or Enhanced Service Pistol division in the 9mm or .40 caliber verisions.

From my experieince, most novices fare well in SSP with the Glock design since it can be modified easily and the trigger pull is more consistent than the other double action style guns. ESP is also a good place for a beginner to start since the 1911 guns shooting minor have very little recoil. Not everyone goes out and buys a 9mm 1911 though and you'll find that those who do purchase one do it for competition's sake and have been shooting this game for some time (and can be classed high).

That's not true. Any .45 ACP caliber pistol legal for Stock Service Pistol may also compete in CDP.

Yea, but I'm speaking more toward the way it usually ends up. You see mostly 1911's in the CDP category.

Carter

I shoot a stock Glock 19 from a Blade-tech in SSP. Works fine. I carry the Glock quite a bit. 9mm is reasonable in price. About competition, my goal is to compete against myself.

Back