New to handguns...some general info before moving on

Bfglowkey

Greetings. Long time rifle guy and steered clear of pistols due to pretty bad RA in my hands. Recent changes to my meds have given me confidence back in my grip and such I wanted to expand my skills to pistol. Now this said I am not interested in concealed carry. Home defense maybe, range and fun time definitely. I purchased a M&P 22 ( full size not the compact, felt like stealing at new price of 250 at BX clearing them out ). My thought on this was simple: Purchase what I am leaning toward when I move up to 9mm. It felt similar to the 9mm M&P I handled just lighter. I know many will say Glock, and I thought they handled well but honestly the M&P just felt good in my hands. I enjoy shooting it and have already put 500 rds in the first 2 weeks of ownership. I had to get my fundies down :)

Now this said if there are things I should know that would make my thoughts toward the M&P be reconsidered I am welcomed to factual concerns and I don't mind opinions either but have some reasons backing your bashing or endorsement. Again I am new to pistols....I can line up the sights and work the even trigger pull. I am looking at performance of the pistol mainly. Also note that while I have regained confidence in my grip I am not looking for something that will shake that by going too large. It seems 9mm or 45 is where I will more then likely stay ( 38 special ??? I am still learning all the calibers in pistols etc lol)

I have seen some very good deals at my BX for the Ruger security 9s and they seemed fairly comfortable in hands as well. I have way too much money in my rifles to go nuts with handguns. But reliable, solid shooting and easy on the hands are all things I am interested in. Daughter is also my shooting partner ( 19, ROTC and anxious to learn pistols along with me) so that's also a consideration.

I would HIGHLY recommend trying out the M&P Shield 380

Given your RA....
The size is 'just right' for adult hands, easy reach, and light
The grip safety and SA trigger are a huge help
The magazine is easy to grasp and load
The slide is easy to grip and retract
And it recoils like a pussycat

Its also accurate, reliable, and fun as the dickens

(yes 380 is fine for SD)

Size matters(a hand gun must fit your hand), but not as much as trying the handgun on for felt recoil by firing it, first. The arthritis might still be an issue.
You have a local gun shop(with a range if possible.) you trust? Go talk to 'em. Otherwise, if you belong to a shooting club like you should, ask the other members if you can try their stuff. Most shooters will go out of their way to help.

Beretta makes, or made which you can find pretty easy on GunBroker, a tip up barrel .380 which negates having to rack the slide. These are also outstanding quality guns.

I agree that if you like the M&P then stay with it for a centerfire caliber. Glocks aren't as well designed as the M&Ps (IMO) and the M&Ps have better ergonomics all around. (I shoot both S&Ws and Glocks.) If I had to choose between a M&P and Glock, I'd take the M&P EVERY time.

If you consider a 380, the S&W 380 Shield EZ is probably your best bet. Blow-back 380, like the Beretta, are tough to hand cycle. https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/review-beretta-model-84fs/358015

By the way, 38 Special is a revolver cartridge.

Blow-back 380, like the Beretta, are tough to hand cycle.

That might create some confusion. The link provided in that post is to a discussion of the Beretta 84. It is a .380 double stack, but does not have a tip-up barrel. I own one, and will agree that it is difficult to cycle the slide by hand. The suggestion before that, though, was for a tip-up barrel .380 Beretta. That, I believe, is the model 86. It is likely to be harder to find, but it eliminated the slide issue.

OP, it seems like you were thinking ahead well in starting with the M&P .22 with the thought of staying with them when you were ready for a center fire pistol. I don't have first hand experience with the M&P line, but they are well thought of and if it is a good fit for you, your plan seems wise.

I have a M&P 9 "1.0" that I prefer to all other striker fired guns.
I don't think it would be a mistake to follow the .22 with a 9mm.

As Jeff Cooper said, "You can learn about 80% of what you need to know with a .22."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the inputs so far folks. I have some buddies with pistols but most are concealed carry petite things that don't fit well and feel weird. I think the one that one of them is going to let me try is a Kimber? If that sounds right? In 9mm and something in 40 ACP or whatever is between 9mm and 45. So I guess that will get me in a better place on how they handle. I have handled the 1911 as a Military Aircrew member and shot it decently before the RA got out of hand.
I just have had a lot of good reports and solid comments about the M&P line and luckily it fits well. Anyone comment on the Ruger security 9? I see the inexpensive Tarus's ( I think that's what the are called) but have been apprehensive to touch one since while I am frugal I don't like cheap on the side of unsafe or just short life of product.

I wouldn’t unfortunately recommend the beretta 86. You trade the advantage of tip up barrel with increased recoil and inability to field strip. Yep it’s a pia to clean a 86 better be ready with punch and hammer. The beretta 85 and 84 are actually easy to cycle, considering it’s got a hammer and blowback

+1 for the 380 EZ. I have the M&P 22 and the 380 EZ. They are almost identical in size and if you closed your eyes, I doubt you could tell the difference racking the slides.

The M & P is a fine choice if you like it. I have three and all have been excellent. The 9mm full size should be comfortable for you to shoot. I would start with 9mm as a defense caliber before buying.40 or .45.

I just bought a Security 9, you are right it has a nice grip and it also has a nice trigger. Though obviously I still buy them, I think Ruger’s quality control has had issues in recent years and would consider the M & P a safer choice especially as a first or only defense pistol.

Considering your RA issue, I agree with others that you should try to find a representative 9mm to shoot before buying. Recoil on the M & P will not be out of line with any other full size polymer 9mm.

Last edited:
I think sticking with the M&P line would be a safe bet for you. I have the M&P 22 Compact. It is a great pistol. I've considered adding an M&P in 9mm to the collection because of it. If arthritis may be a concern, I think the M&P 380EZ would be a good choice. From all reports, it sounds like an excellent pistol. If there is no concern, perhaps the M&P 9mm would work. You are already happy and comfortable with the M&P line. I think you already know the answers. The M&P line is solid.

I have seen some very good deals at my BX for the Ruger security 9s

Base Exchange?? Never saw any guns FS during my '20' in the USN..Is this fairly new? Good deal tho..maybe I need to travel down to Ft Carson to see...

Bfglowkey said:
Anyone comment on the Ruger security 9?

The security 9 is the best glock 19 sized 9mm available today for under $300. A good first gun IMHO. I've seen them selling for $280 or less.

The M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm is a step up (made of stainless) but it is heavier and the cheapest I'm seeing them is $350.

I would spend the extra money to get the M&P 2.0 Compact over the Ruger any day. The M&P 2.0 Compact is a steal these days for what one gets if it fits the shooter well.

Back