New to DIY Guns...?s about the Stevens 200.

Byrdman35

Inactive
So this will be my first DIY build and I thought about choosing the Stevens 200 in 22-250. From what Ive been reading there is a difference between the stevens prior to 2008 and the ones from 2008-present and that needs to be taken into consideration when getting aftermarket parts and accessories. My first question is this...How do I find out which parts and accessories are for the newer versions and which are for the older versions? Secondly, does anyone have any resources available online that might prove useful to me..including parts, accessories, tips, tricks, or just things one might not think of until you run into something that stops the build in its tracks? I wont lie im looking for the Tacticool appearance but also looking for something very very functional. Also, Im a lefty.

I don't know that they make the Stevens 200 in a left-hand action, and that might be a deal-breaker if you're looking for a left-hand bolt. The Stevens 200 is the no-frills version of the Savage 10/110 and you're correct that about 2008, Savage made a design change to their short action receivers. We currently consider that there are three generational changes to the Savage short action, with changes made in 1988, 2005, and '06-present. If you're buying an older action you'll need to know what you have, but if you're buying a current action, then it will be the newer model. LINKY HERE and scroll down for design changes. Sharp Shooter Supply is considered one of the premier Savage gunsmiths in the country, but they are a mom-and-pop shop, so getting them on the phone can be iffy. Their website is a wealth of information and if I were starting a Savage build that would be the first place I'd look.

The left handed part isnt a deal breaker...just more of a perk if I could get one. Thank you for responding. Ill check out the links. I hope people continue offering their input.

Another question before it slips my mind yet again. Is there anyway to change the Built in Mag to a Detachable Mag and if so Id love a resource or guide of some kind to give me an idea of what id be getting myself into?

Is there anyway to change the Built in Mag to a Detachable Mag and if so Id love a resource or guide of some kind to give me an idea of what id be getting myself into?

Sure. CDI offers bottom metal, along with others. Google is your friend here. Also, Sharp Shooter Supply carries it from time to time. There are several manufacturers offering such things and you can find bottom metal at Brownell's, although it's very important to know which model you're working with as a base rifle. With the design changes made over the past several years, both in the action and the stocks, such changes are important.

CDI is owned by a fellow named Jeff. He just moved into his own shop a year or so ago. Prior to that, he was sharing shop space with a custom motorcycle shop. He's a decent fellow. If you can find an interesting cigar that he hasn't smoked before and send it to him, I'm sure you'll get on his good side.

Back